Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lead replacement additive

thesheep

Since my Xflow is not converted for UL petrol, I need to put in a bit of lead-replacement additive with every tank of fuel.

Was wondering if any other Xflow owners do this, and whether you've found a difference between any of the different brands? My engine is fairly highly tuned so was thinking it might be critical? I notice you can get a cheapish one for about £4 per 250ml, or a Castrol one for £11 for 250ml.

Also, is it worth buying in bulk/larger containers from somewhere?

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

I used Wynn's but switched to Millers products. The combination product of octane booster and lead additive gives a clear improvement.

An engine builder told me that even with hardened seats these products are usefull because the lead replacement product gives an extra lubrication for the valves.

The Wynn's lead replacement is such a product that has been designed for modern engines, even with catalytic converters. A bottle of 250 ml treats 250 l fuel.

Millers and Redline should be better suited for older engines. You also have to use them in higher concentration.

The cost might be an issue but owning and using a Seven is never going to be cost effective. In my case at an average driven distance of 1.200 km / year, I believe the yearly oil change is more expensive than the lead replacement.

How much does a bottle of this Castrol product cost ?

Jack Flash

As I said, £11 for 250ml (with Octane boost) or £9 with just lead replacement. Seems expensive but I notice the Redline one is £14 on Demon Tweeks.

I'll see how it goes but probably switch back to a cheaper one like Millers.

There's a list approved by the Federation of British Historical Vehicle Clubs.

Shame they don't sell it in larger, more cost-effective sized portions.

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

Leaded fuel is still available, but expensive. Don't know if any of these are close to you here, but 1 tank full in 5 "should" give a good degree of protection, and probably cost competative with adatives.

Having said that i have a crossflow and don't bother as the valve clearances haven't moved since i bought it 6000 miles ago.

Never buy at Demon Tweeks 🙅🏻‍♂️

They have a nice thick catalogue with lots of products but they are quite expensive.

Try to have a look at following websites :

- Rally Design

- Burton

- Frost Auto Restauration Techniques

They all stock Millers and Redline and I believe you can buy also bulk packages.

Jack Flash

Promapac do mail order at a good price for Castrol Valvemaster £5.96 and Valvemaster plus with the octane booster at £8.50 + VAT and p&p.

If you buy six bottles at a time it lasts for years and cost four fifths of b****r all compared to the cost of the petrol you're putting in there with it.

I was told a while ago that its not good to switch from one make to another as they use different metals. Some use sodium and others phosphorous and its best not to mix them. Maybe they build up over time to give protection, but I don't know how the process works.

Thinking about it (its a while since I bought some) I seem to remember that if you buy 5 you get one free. That might make it a bit more attractive although its still not a great saving I admit.

I may be wrong about the deal but you can always give them a ring and see what they can offer. When I ordered mine it came within a couple of days.