Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seatbelt's

CaterBram

Is it legal to use an FIA Competition Seatbelt Harness with quick release buckle in normal road use.

When I purchased my car the owner had reinstalled the normal road legal seatbelts, (even through he gave me the competition seat belt harness), and advised that the MOT stations had recieved a reminder that competition belts should not be fitted in road cars.

has anyone come accross this ?

Are race seatbelts legal to use on the road or are we all risking it on the way to events ?

Newbie Owner of Q469 WET Caterham 1.7 Crossflow in Ali except for the red bits.

The seat belt's i've got fitted arn't inertia reels but are the old style four point seatbelts with a convential seat belt pushbutton in the middle.

From what i was told it's the release method rather than the seat belt type,

certainly had me confused as I would have thought an FIA approved multipoint harness would provide a much safer system.

Newbie Owner of Q469 WET Caterham 1.7 Crossflow in Ali except for the red bits.

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 31 Aug 2009 21:41:35

• Area Representative
I think the rule is that they should be able to be done up using one hand and undone using one hand. 4 point harnesses with a turnbuckle cannot be done (easily) with one hand but I think commonsense and safety prevails in this situation and I have never had a question mark even at the various MOTs over the years