Click here if you are having website access problems ×

starter motor issues

Danny123

not a caterham issue this time,,, it's a problem on my mates mk5 rs2000

We have put a replacement engine in and it starts fine but the starter motor won't switch off after the engine has started. Once the engine has started and the the key has moved down into the normal running position, the pinion on the starter motor disengages from the fly wheel but the starter motor keeps running.

any ideas ?

H7 MFR

Xflow

Colin thanks for your reply, Just tried that and all seems normal without HT leads in.

something i forgot to mention, It only happens after the engine has been running for 15 seconds or so. after 15 seconds the starter motor starts spinning up and sounds like a drill. When the ignition is turned off, the starter motor is still spinner for 3-4 seconds. I think we have wired it up wrong but it doesn't work at all if we change the wiring around. I think it maybe something to do with the alternator feed that connects to it, ie it's not charing the battery up, it's just running the starter motor instead.

just can't work it out.

current wiring is live to solonoid. Big red live from battery to starter live and big red wire from alternator to the third connector which also has a small earth to the starter casing

The Alternator wire should go to same terminal as the Red battery wire the other terminal is an Internal connection to the windings and should not be used.

jj

MTM , N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Edited by - Johnty Lyons on 1 Aug 2009 19:51:42

that must mean that theres an issue somewhere else then because when the alternator red is connected with battery red nothing happens. also nothing happens if the alternator red is disconnected completely.

unless, could a dodgy earth cause this?

H7 MFR

Xflow

If you have a voltmeter check for a voltage between the chassis of the car and the engine. Also check between the battery negative and both the chassis and the engine. Do these checks both with the ignition on and engine stopped and with the engine running.

Edited by - Colin Mill on 1 Aug 2009 20:39:52

I think there is a clue in the starter running but (unless I'm interpreting this wrong) not trying to engage. If the starter solenoid was being re-energised 15 seconds after the engine started you would expect to hear the nasty noise of it trying to engage the moving ring gear. So it seems that the starter is getting something less than the full battery feed and is not accelerating fast enough to throw the Bendix forward.

If it's a pre-engaged one I really don't see how it could do this as the solenoid should throw the starter into engagement before closing the contacts to energise the starter.

Good puzzle 😬

First can we accertain if we are dealing with a pre engaged starter Solenoid on motor usually confirms this or a bendix starter.

If the solenoid is on the motor there are usually only two used connections.

A main power feer to solenoid input [output is by braided wire from other terminal into the motor thence via windings to ground] and an activation cct to the solenoid windings [from the start relay] The connnection to the alternator is a red herring as this can be to the battery and doesn't need to go anywhere near the starter.

jj

MTM , N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

all, thanks for your replies, only just finished working on it about an hour ago. The starter motor is a pre engaged motor and that was at fault. we got a second hand motor and put that in and all worked as it should with Alternator red connected to the same terminal as battery red. We just had the usual issue which drives you crazy which is, a part on the car was working before disasembly. then once re-assembled you find it no longer works, you start questioning if you really did have it wired up the way you remeber. it's a mystery to me *confused*

thanks again all

Danny

H7 MFR

Xflow