Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carb tuning near Bristol

thesheep

Finally got my 1989 Xflow finished, MOTed and on the road. My first outing today was driving it back from Stroud in torrential rain. Original hood very good and waterproof although it got *extremely* hot in there. Handling is nice with new suspension bushes and new shocks.

Car seems to run quite well but I'm not sure it's quite got the acceleration I would expect for a modified Supersprint with allegedly 150+ bhp. Last time I drove a lower spec 1600 Sprint it felt like it pushed me back in my seat a bit more than this. I guess it requires high revs and it does feel like its coming alive at 5000 or 6000 rpm but also a bit raggedy, maybe a bit of misfiring.

Anyway I'm thinking that the best thing to do is get it on a rolling road and tune it. Carbs probably haven't been tuned for 4 years (been languishing in a barn) and I've put on new air filters so I guess that might change the balance a bit from last time.

Anyone know anywhere good in the Bristol area with rolling road and people who know how to tune twin Webers?

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

Might be a bit far to go, but one of the most knowledgeable men when it comes to setting up Webers is Peter Landers at Sigma:

Sigma Engineering

Unit 25

Brickfield Industrial Estate

Gillingham

Dorset

SP8 4LT

Tel: 01747 823270

Guy

Now with MORE bhp HERE

• 2 weeks later...

Circuit motors seem to get a couple of negatives in the archives, so maybe not.

Phoned Mech Motorsport but they said approx £250 to set up carbs... seemed a bit expensive to me! (Although I'm sure he's good).

Sigma Engineering quoted around £120 for the same job so, although it's a bit of a long drive, I'm going to take it there.

Must be somewhere around Bristol itself, but nothing beats a good recommendation.

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

Is this any help? here

Lists all of the Weber Dealers from their website.

I used Gerald Dale Motorsport in Hastings, did the whole job for about £100 on a rolling road. The told me my 100hp VX1600 is actually putting out 115hp 😬 😬 😬

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

rFactor: caterham.miltec.biz

Tommy's up in the Valleys has a good reputation, spoken to him a few times and he's always been helpful, Mech Motorsport aren't cheap but they are very good, they're mapping my Emerald next week and they have tuned this for little beasty for me a few times .....1.5mpg but my god it sounded like death coming from the other side of the circuit, triple 45's mmmh! *tongue*here

here

C7 YUM

Edited by - taffyracer on 31 Jul 2009 21:42:34

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why you want to spend so much money....

Start with Dave Andrews' jetting program from here and be realistic over your expectations for the engine in terms of max revs and whether you want drivability for the road or out-and-out power for the track.

Ensure that your valve timing and ignition timing are correctly set up.

Get these jets in place and then it is only a minor deal to balance the carbs and set the idle mixture (OK the last part can be a little bit of a pain but there are many prior postings on how to do that).

If things still aren't quite 100% - then check that the carbs are not mounted too tightly (causes the fuel to foam in the float chamber causing starvation) and that the floats are set correctly.

Only then, pay serious money to garages.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!