Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MBE Ecu

anthonym

I gather my 2000 R500 ECU an MBE 967 is not so good at dealing with lamda sensor (exhaust) inputs so it is diabled in this regard, despite the car having said sensor.

I asked about changing the ECU and was told it is long and complicated (i.e. expensive and time consuming in an already time and budget constrained instant rebuild project).

Feeling deprived here, one might say sensored.

Anthony

edit to correct MBT to MBE

edit to add 967 following RJ's/Andy's later posts (thx)

Edited by - anthonym on 18 Jul 2009 17:23:42

Edited by - anthonym on 8 Aug 2009 22:07:23

Anthony

The ECU you should have is an MBE and this can be remapped so there is no need to change. However, to get the best results you need a rolling road session and here in the UK a large number of R3/4/500 owners have used Steve Greenald at Track'n'Road near Rainhan in Essex. He remapped my R500 and it transformed the driveability upping both the power and torque in the low-mid range.

Mark D

interesting, Minister just did my rebuild and commented they have set it for more torque lower down as I said I rarely go into the high rev ranges. I wonder (perhaps read hope) that is a similar thing.

Now wondering how I tell.

edit: engine and on-car dynos were included. I say "on car" because the dyno bolts to the rear wheel hubs so there is no actual "rolling road" roller set involved - so no rollers loss, which I suppose is quite small, if useful.

Edited by - anthonym on 18 Jul 2009 17:29:20

Rolling road or bolt on dyno makes no difference.

I guess they have timed the cams differently, hence more torque and less power.

I'd second Marks comment on remapping the ECU. THe one you have should do the job. Why do you depend on the lambda sensor?

I have different maps for various Rx00 engines with different compensation, but usually run one where the lambda feedback is not used. The engine rarely runs at closed loop conditions anyway.

I have no idea what the lamda sensor does (aside from measure gases I presume), I just like to use all the bits.

I have always wondered and been afraid to ask, what is the difference between power and torque?

Perhaps I should add I have never understood the explanations so please have a go.

edit and what is a closed loop condition?

Anthony

Edited by - anthonym on 18 Jul 2009 21:55:34

Closed loop is when the ecu adjusts the air fuel ratio to alternate around lambda 1 to ensure the catalyst works correctly. This is only done on part throttle at relatively low RPM.

The lambda sensor either returns 0v or 1v if the ratio is rich or lean (could be opposite)

Power is torque multiplied by RPM

ah and on a second reading I see you mention a cat. My car has no cat - and just passed its MOT which I am very chuffed about. So if no cat then no lamda is relevant?

I have this idea I am lucky I have an early model in that as such its emissions figures recorded with vosa are cat less. If I have understood what goes on there.

I have been reading wiki and while I can see the equations, I find it difficult to translate them into real life effects. It seems that at low revs in first gear at low speed, then having more torque "lower down" might be a good thing - which would suit me coming out of one hairpin after another.

Closed loop is pointless on a race engine. You will melt exhaust valves if you run perfect stoichiometric at full load and high rpm. You need to get the A/F ratio down to about 12 at the top end to be safe.

For petrol Lambda 1 is AFR = 14.7:1

Lambda=AFR:14.7

And Arnie is correct. You don't want to run lean at high RPM.

The only reason to run at Lambda 1 it to make the catalyst work, in fact you can easily run leaner at low load and save petrol.

Dave Walkers book would be a good guide for you to understand what's going on when mapping a race engine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so. I have ordered da book.

I am wondering if my experiences of zero acceleration when flooring it are related to some emergency mode, because it does work if I use half throttle and let it build up and then rev rev rev it to clear it so it seems.

The variables seem to be ambient heat and altitude - and how stuck in traffic I have been, or indeed running on just tick-over (that means coasting downhill for ten to 30 minutes)

Anthony

and inside the front cover is: a cd with Emerald M2DK engine mapping software

page 9, pic of a Zetec-R engine with throttle bodies in a Seven (or like) good start

page 10, leakdown test comments (new race engine) at 100psi hold within 5%, 10%+ investigate - so when mine was 15% back in 2004 and had a top end rebuild, I was being advised with understatement.

page 11, explains cold air is denser than warm air (any sailor knows that) AND (my conclusion) this is why an "airbox" allows more power

and my foam air filter needs to be oiled - it does?! *confused* I had no idea.

page 12, rolling road dyno type (as opposed to engine or "on car" types) tyre pressure have significant impact on recorded results - so there's a plus for the "on car" type - there is a potential difference in results from one type or the other.

Chapter 2 - Spark Plugs - well I'll go to the foot of our stairs...

Edited by - anthonym on 6 Sep 2009 13:41:48