Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 K Series Noise Reduction

RoyH

It's noisy. I need to blag a meter to find out by just how much, but it's going to need addressing in order to make it more track friendly.

So, which should be addressed first? Silencer or airbox?

And which silencer and airbox?

I have my views on both, but dont wish to influence people's opinions. Power retention is an obvious priority.

Your thoughts, please.

Taffybach boyo

Exhaust first, how about this one 😳

Sensible head on .... Get it static noise tested first (75% max revs), if its 98db or under then you should be ok at most tracks, for those that have driveby meters it may be a different story.

If you do need to quieten it down, then does your R500 have a repackable silencer? If so have you opened it up to see if it needs a top up? If silencer is in good order then as you say airbox next ..... if you are a carbon tart then reverie seem to have options ....

airborne tweaked supersport

Hi Roy

You've read my thread on a near identical topic!

I had my R300 tested at Bedford Autodrome. The chap there was very helpful. The main problem was getting into the place - the speed bumps are not Caterham friendly.

When I was there, there was an R400 running with a standard cat and exhaust and he had passed the 100dB static test but had been told to lift off when going past the noise meter on track, as it was reading high values. So I would suggest your R500 will need a bit of help to run somewhere like that...

For a single can Raceco seem to be preferred by many here, I have a Powerspeed 4-2-1 and sometimes struggle. To be certain of getting exhaust levels down you could have a twin silencer system from Powerspeed - whisper quiet (as proven by Atinods Busa) - second can runs along the back of the car.

Intake is a very different game, I've struggled here also - I have the Bernard Scouse box which does make a good difference but on drive by I still have some difficulties. An extended intake and remote filter may help but I'm not sure how many have done this successfully. I've experimented with some flexible hose but don't really have any scientific method for testing - not easy to drive by (flat out) a volunteer holding a meter!

Grubster, thanks.

I'm thinking Ammo for the silencer.

I've seen the airbox that DVA has had made and would be interested to have this fitted but dont know much about its noise attenuation. Anybody got one? How does it compare to the Scouse airbox?

Also, which is the recommended first approach: silencer or intake?

Taffybach boyo

I would start with the silencer as this will get you through noise tests where they only do a static test. An airbox will be required for circuits like Bedford, Goodwood and Donnington where driveby tests are used and monitored. In reality even with an airbox and a good silencer you will probably need a 105db day to stay within the noise limit.

Mark D

Mark, 7 Wonders. Thanks.

Better find someone with a noise meter in order to kick this all off.

Sounds lik a visit to Ammo followed by DVA.

Would be a bit dissapointed if I had a silencer and airbox fitted and then wasnt much below 105 though....

Taffybach boyo

Roy it would be good to get some noise data on the Raceco fitted to R500 from someone that has one - if you are really wanting to reduce noise for trackdays then you only want to spend once and ideally want to make 98 or less. The rear exit 2 can Powerspeed will easily do this - I think Atinods Busa was around 108 when it went for SVA and this was with a large Powespeed can with cat fitted - after adding the second can they didn't even bother testing it (I have a meter so will do so soon but I suspect it will be less than 95). Ferrari Mark also runs a rear exit and has no problems getting on track.

Have just spoken to Powerspeed, who are getting back to me.

The rear exit exhaust is likely to give ground clearance issues on an R500; this is particularly importnant in my case. There is an incline leading into my house and I am already having clearance issues (or lack of it). Sump keeps scraping.

Taffybach boyo

Okay, ground clearance was a red herring.

Rear exit exhaust system is doable, although not cheap !!!

Guess I would make up some of the cost by being able to sell my current exhaust.

Taffybach boyo

I had the caterham rear exit exhaust and the caterham/reverie airbox.

I got on everywhere including goodwood quiet days.

The exhaust cost 7bhp against the then standard R500 exhaust- 222 v 229 (old Dave Walker RR).

I'm sure I don't need to say it, but if you change airbox, please make sure there is no chance of sucking a clip into the induction.

Graham

First step is to check the packing, which I'm hoping to do this weekend.

Will be going to Bedford on 10th July (not tracking it), will get the car noise tested there.

Subject to the results of the noise test, I will then need to look at whether to go for induction or exhaust noise first.

The Powerspeed system will cost me nearly £1500 fitted. Too expensive.

If I need to limit the exhaust noise (very likely), I'll be looking in the direction of Raceco. Dont want to put up with any power loss.

Taffybach boyo

Hi Roy

I believe that Reverie now sell the R500 carbon fibre airbox/"gasmask" and under nosecone air scoop box parts, although not Caterham branded.

As you are very interested in history and specifications of the K series R500s, maybe this is the wat to to keep authenticity?

ps YHM

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬