Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement alternator belt

millsn

Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that has a wide variety of belt lengths? I need one for a zetec but the one I've always fitted requires lerage to fit it over the alternator and I'm more and more convinced that applying that leverage kyboshes the alternator bearings prematurely. I need a belt that is maybe 10mm longer o/all but I'm struggling to find one at my local factor.

Edited by - millsn on 26 Jun 2009 19:21:48

Doubt so.

My own have them hanging in rows and columns... Just tell the size and they'll pick it.

Of course I can go there to get one for you, problem is as always my location.

There's a small chance I can convert a dimension to a car make / model if you can tell me what you need.

I doubt very much that "stretching" a belt over a pully will do permanant damage to a healthy bearing.

If the belt is loose once fitted and it concerns you to "lever" the belt over the lip of the pulley why not undo the adjusting strap and move the alternator further in.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

millsn

When I first fitted my Zetec I was told a 1070 belt was the one to use, but like you found it was a bit tight so I switched to a 1072, both are GATES belts and available at most motor accessory shops.

However I think most manufacturers do a full range of lengths it’s just that if it’s not used on a popular production car (which the 1070 and 1072 are not) they tend not to hold them in stock.

Interesting point, even Halfords use the belt length as part of their product code which makes it’s easy to identify the right belt, but again they don’t stock the 1070 and 1072 belts *rolleyes*

Guy

Now with MORE bhp HERE