Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Hose Change - guidance please

David Lynch

I have a minor leak from Fuel Hose ('95 K Series - from Banjo at Fuel Pump to inlet of J pipe before Filter). Only manifests itself when first cranking (back pressure in fuel rail before engine fires ?) at start up so perishing hose is the most likely suspect.

Got the new hose, banjo bolt, washers and filter.

Does system need syphoning and carefully draining, or should I only encounter the residual fuel that's primed into hose?

Electrics will be isolated, working outdoors etc. etc.

Not looking forward to this one.

Ta in advance

David

EN Yorks 7's Flickr

Hi David,

I know how you're feeling - There aren't many parts I mind getting to grips with but the fuel tank is top of the list. It was with a great deal of trepidation that I tested my uprated fuel pump today and I hated every minute of it!

Working outdoors and physically disconnecting the battery during the work are good precautions. I'd imagine there'll seem to be a fair amount of fuel stored in the banjo hose. I'd be tempted to disconnect it from the filter end first with a receptacle underneath because you'll be emptying the tank/filter hose as well as the filter and whatever head of fuel it's pipework is holding.

I don't *think* the tank should need draining because the banjo outlet is linked directly to the pump so the contents are held at bay. I say think because I've always drained the tank before working on it as a matter of course. Hopefully someone can give you a more definitive answer.

If you fancy draining the tank, I've found it quick and easy to disconnect the pump at the connector, run some tube from the hardline in the engine bay to a container, take the two pump-side wires out of the connector and hook them up via a switch to a battery. I can then remotely flip the switch and wait for the tank to empty.

Remember when refitting the banjo line, to sit it between the two locating fingers on the tank plate. This keeps it in position and lessens the strain on the tank when the banjo bolt is done up.

Best of luck with it

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Home of the long-term, supercharged Duratec project *biggrin*

Edited by - k80rum on 18 Jun 2009 21:20:35

*smile* All done. (Well, fuel filter will be saved for another day as ran out of time)

Thankfully it's the filter end (not Banjo) of the hose that comes back through the bulkhead plate/gromit so easy to drain pipe and check fuel pump does not pass *thumbup* (it didn't). Was a good call as hose was perishing at contact point where goes through the plate, so note for those of you with old fuel hoses *idea*.

Hardest part was getting new gromit in place as new hose is less pliable. Fiddly as ****

Replaced Hose, Banjo Bolt and Crush washers.

David

EN Yorks 7's Flickr

Edited by - David Lynch on 22 Jun 2009 14:26:10