Click here if you are having website access problems ×

No brake lights

Tyrone

My hydraulic brake light switch has failed after a mere 22 years. 😔 Searching through the archive has shown a number of people have converted to a microswitch. However, I don't have a pedal box to mount the switch to. Should I bite the bullet and replace the hydraulic switch and bleed the brake system again (only done recently) or can I install a microswitch in an alternate location.

NE Area Rep

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,

We'll keep the red flag flying here

Tyrone,

I had the same issue with an old car, and made up a bracket (from a part left over from an MFI unit, IIRC...) and bolted it to the master cylinder mounting bracket. Used a small microswitch from the electrical odds and sods box. Works fine - been there for a few years now. I can send pictures if you're interested

Ralph, I would be interested in the photos, even if I don't do it this time round. If you could send them to:

bramseyATgbHYPHENbuildingDOTcoDOTuk

I'd very grateful. *thumbup*

I'll try that SM25T, cheers.

Baz, the part number is posted in the FAQ section apparently, if it is goosed. Sleight of hand would be my way, but a few of my fellow NE7's shudder at my bodge it and scarper approach sometimes. *wink*

NE Area Rep

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,

We'll keep the red flag flying here