Click here if you are having website access problems ×

solid state race camera interference when engine running only

olij

hoping the power of blatchat can help...

i've installed a solid state camera system into my 7; bullet camera and recording unit with SD card. the recording unit is powered by a battery. the bullet cam powered from the 12v car supply.

when running with the engine off the camera picture is great.

but, when the engine is running there is a lot of interference on the camera picture.

any suggestions what this could be? i've tried connecting straight to the battery and the problem is the same.

Hi I`m running something similar and use a regulated power supply to power both the camera and solid state recorder. You can pick them up in Maplins for about GBP15 then just chop the 12v plug of and wire it in properly.

Having said that some bullet cameras are considerably more sensitive to noise than others so whilst that may help you may find it's just an issue with that type of camera. The easiest way to confirm this would be to try another camera on your car to see if it`s any better.

What recorder do you have? does it have the option to power the camera from that? this is what my Drivedata DR2 does which makes everything a bit simpler.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Where have you taken the 12V supply from and where have you connected to chassis? As a first step, try taking the camera supply straight from the car battery, both pos and neg wires, and see if that improves things. If it does, then try the pos from the same as you have it now, I would guess you've got it wired to the ignition switch.

One word of warning though, some cameras must be supplied from a 12Volt regulated supply, otherwise you'll invalidate the warranty. This is true of RF Concepts' products and they are emphatic about it. So you shouldn't connect direct to the car supply which will normally be anything up to 15 Volts when charging.

thanks - i've tried connecting straight to the battery and getr the same problem, it has a voltage regulator built in to the camera supply already too.... must be something strange in the car wiring? or would this be eliminated by running straight from the battery

thanks *thumbup*

Make sure the wires and recording unit are well away from ECU, coil, amps, relays etc etc

I get dreadful interference on my autocom when it's plugged into my fag socket but I've since realised it's not the power to the socket that causes the problem, it's that the power supply runs near the ECU.

-----

VDU 7X Pics

More VDU 7X Pics