Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hammerite on chrome screen, does it ever go really hard ?

Dicky

I am in the process of hammeriting my chrome, windscreen and stanchions and giving the dampers a good covering too. Basically giving it a black pack look.

All is going well and I am actually happy with the results but the paint does seem very soft, like it marks with just a finger nail pressed into it. Does it ever go really hard ? It just seems that as soon as it all goes back on the car it will look scruffy really quickly.

I have left it to fully dry between coats (more than the 15 mins it suggests) but I doubt it will last 5 years like it states. Still feels a little sticky to the touch even after being left overnight....

I prepared the surfaces by sanding, cleaning and drying.

Maybe Ishould leave the bits by the AGA overnight to help

Regards

Richard

Like you i painted mine before i aquired some genuine parts.

Is it chrome or shiny ally? If its chrome doubtful whether it will take. If ally rub it down with wire wool and put Special Metal primer on it, leave to dry overnight and then spray with Hamerite Satin Black, but leave it a few hours between light coats.

Dont paint it by brush it looks........not very nice!

Take your time!

SM25T - No thanks, they are the one thing that HAS to stay. I haev been told by SWMBO a they are the one thing that make the care look 'cute' *cry* However, I do know someone who has some real carbon ones that would look pretty good.

Thanks for all the responses. Have now left the bits I have done by the aga to fully cure overnight. I have also got some Hammerite primer to use on the windscreen surround so hopefully that will help things stick....

Regards

Richard

It does take a long time to harden, plus as already mentioned, it doesn't stick very well to smooth metal, it tends to chip off very easily, especially something as smooth as chrome. Any type of bare metal especially aluminium is better undercoated with etch primer first. The satin black is the one to use. The annoying thing with Hammerite, is the length of time required between coats, if you allow it to fully dry.

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)