Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Creating a flat floor (from a non-flat one)

Roger Ford

My garage floor is definitely not completely flat.

Would like to find something I can put down in the four corners that are in some way height adjustable - and not spend £400 on some flash bit of kit from Longacre!

Was thinking of aluminium plate, which is available in a variety of thicknesses (I need about 2mm on one corner, 3.5mm on another, not sure about the third) but that could get quite expensive. Anyone come up with an easy and cheap solution?

I considered that, but rejected on the grounds of

1. Cost

2. The fact that I'd have to move absolutely everything out of the garage first. Would mean unbolting workbenches and finding space to put all the crap that's around the floor, workbenches and bike hoist.

In any case, the floor that's there at the moment was supposed to be self-levelling screed. Doesn't appear to have self-levelled very well.

If you want some self levelling watermix then I would be happy to supply you at cost, i have urds of the stuff left over from a large refurb, it really is the best option, if the area isn't that large then it really is a cost effective option, a 6mm coat works out around £6.50/m2 so not all that bad

Roger

Once you have a flat floor in your garage, there's still quite a bit of kit required to get to the stage where you can set up the chassis on your 7 as I'm sure you have read on here.

If your objective is to do a full corner weight and geometry, I have a good friend in Milton Keynes with all the equipment in his home. He is a total car engineering enthusiast. He has set up several motorsport cars, my 7 and at least one other and also my tintop which now steers as sweetly as honey.

If you would like help with it, he would do it for a very reasonable consideration. It can also be a hands-on experience if you want to be involved and we can discuss all the settings as the set up progresses.

Let me know if you would like to know more.

Cheers

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much IQ per Pound 😬

Peter, the idea's not to be able to do a full flat floor setup - I know the scales are getting cheaper but you'd still be looking at £750+. Rather I just want to be able to do basic geometry checks - toe, camber etc - when I've either fiddled with something or biffed something on the track.

In any case MK is too far away from me. I usually use either DPR Motorsport in Abinger Hammer near Dorking, or Ben Rockey of the Classic Car Workshop near Pulborough. But DPR are not cheap, and often busy, and Ben's a long way away - so would be nice to be able to do basic stuff at home.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

BTW, I made a camber gauge today out of a ruler, a bit of string, some cardboard and a bit of trigonometry. It works well. My laser toe alignment gauge (a ruler with a laser pointer sellotaped onto it) could probably do with some work, but it shows initial promise 😬

I usually use either DPR Motorsport in Abinger Hammer near Dorking, or Ben Rockey of the Classic Car Workshop near Pulborough. But DPR are not cheap, and often busy, and Ben's a long way away

Are you suggesting that Ben is cheap and doesn't have much work? 😬 😬

Anyway, I cheated, because I know you too well and therefore was 100% sure you would go for the vinyl tile plan 😬. Hey, even I use it and I've got a digital camber gauge!

Charles

---

Triple E Racing - build diary and race reports

i purchased 4 x 400mm x 25 thkmm and 4 x 400mm x 6mm mild steel plates , i planned to bolt down the 6mm plates solid to the garage floor and then use bolts to jack up the 25mm plates in each corner on top of the 6mm. buying the plates for around £40 is as far as i got though 😳

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here