Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harness Fixing - nut and bolt

Wrightpayne

At the weekend I was making good progress fitting my newly aquired tall cage when my thoughts moved to the new boot cover. Doh cage had to come off again to remove the harness bolts. I've just checked and the threaded boss for the harnesses passes right through square tubing.

I cannot see any reason why you could not put a bolt up from inside the boot and a nyloc nut on the top to retain the harness? I'd like to change to 3" wide harnesses at some point and the thought of removing the suspension / cage etc is a bit daunting. Removal would be a case of slackening the nut on top then undoing the bolt from inside the boot.

Anyway, its only one fixing for the passenger 😬

Ian

Ian

From your post, is it the diagonal which prevents the bolt being fitted? This is the case with the X diagonals FIA bar.

Worth checking the total bolt length required. The spare threads sticking out below the bottom of the threaded bush through the square tube add no value and extra weight.

Shortening the bolt by this amount so it ends flush with the bottom of the bush may allow you to fit/remove it with cage in situ.

Your nyloc idea would work also. The bolt would the have to be long enough to have thread for all the seat belt fixings thickness and the thickness of the nyloc plus 1.5 threads protruding beyond the nyloc ring. Fully torque the bolt pointing upwards so you are effectively left with a secure 'stud' on top of the square tube. Functional but not so neat and adds weight.

Good luck with finding your solution.

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much IQ per Pound 😬

Shortening the bolt by this amount so it ends flush with the bottom of the bush may allow you to fit/remove it with cage in situ.

That was enough for me. Bit fiddly to saw off while it's in place, but managed it by unscrewing until it was touching the roll cage and then sawing off near to where it entered the thread. It's still plenty long enough to get through the full thread, and I'm not fussing about the last 100mg!

Different diagonals may offer different clearances though, so check first.

Jez

Build Photos