Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Temp guage no worky!

Peter G

1.6 k series, just out of hibernation, temp gauge resolutely immobile, any clues? I've checked as many connections as I can see, how do I know if it's the sender or the gauge?? (Sender on the water rail on the nearside right?)

Toe down, nose up the windscreen!

• Area Representative
With the ingnition on, take the wire from the sender and touch it to earth. If the needle on the gauge deflects across the right, its the sender at fault

I'm not trying to hijack the thread as my water temperature guage has also just stopped working *confused* My gauge is shared between the oil and water temperature - as its working for the oil temperature I think the gauge must be OK. So its either the sender or the wiring.

So, looking at this thread ... is it right that the sender for the water temp gauge is the little one on the water rail (passenger side)? If yes, what's the big sender (two wires) for on the radiator? Before I try 'shorting out' the sender I want to make sure I'm looking at the right one .... *redface*

Car is Superlight R - 1.8 VHPD - scares the pants off me every time I drive it

Thx,

Graham

Assume that it is a modern Caterham....... Instruments and senders from Caerbont in Wales....... CC ( Ansar Ali) know that the senders especially the oil pressure one on the K series (on my 6th one now (Annual event)) are a problem. They have the problem as they order such small orders....... 500/600 per annum that no one is very interested in producing such small numbers and the better maufacturers just don't want to know except at silly prices. Had Email from Ansar this morning on the subject . CC are trying to get Caerbont to improve their quality.

Big one on the radiator is the fan switch - remove the plug from it, and join the wires together to make the fan run. Don't ground to earth, unless you have some spare fuses !

It is the single wire sender on the water rail that connects to the temp gauge. Pull the wire off this and ground it to earth with ignition on. Gauge should read full scale with selector switch switched to 'water' of course - this will prove the wiring.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 2 Apr 2009 12:47:28

Graham V

The big sender on the radiator is the sender to switch the fan on. The water temp sender is on the water rail ( pipe ) on the passenger side K series up near the cam cover and has I think a little wire clip to hold it in place... a drop of WD40 and a rub on the contacts of the sender with sandpaper will help to make the electrical contact better. If not good a new sender under £30 from CC should cure the problem. Gauge should be OK the sender usually fails.

SM25T / Pat

Thanks - cleaned contact on the sender and the gauge popped into life. Easy this car maintenance lark *smokin*

Have to say it gets very hot so close to the exhaust pipes ...

Thanks again (and sorry to hijack the thread),

G

As you say the area around the sender does get very hot from the exhaust. It is worth bearing this in mind for the other electrical parts in the area of the exhaust. The alternator, especially the control gear on the back is very close to the exhaust, as is the starter motor. If you plan to have the car a while, it is worth making up some simple heat shields ( B an Q aluminium sheets) to put over the starter motor and alternator. Rear bearing of alternator failed ( nearest the heat) on mine...... Auto electric man said that this almost unheard of as it is always the pulley end bearing that fails on alternators, often due to too tight belts. My rear bearing was completely dry. Quite a lot of starter motors seem to fail.