Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K bottom end what ever happened to Pace?

Johnty Lyons

Having developed fluctuating oil pressure in my recently upgraded 1.8K with regular forays into the red on the guage I to-night eventually after only 2k miles since the last rebuild stripped the sodding thing. No1 big end had completly picked up with little bits of coating spatterd across the sump pan. the other three wouldn't have from the looks of them been far behind. This is what comes of letting ones kids drive your pride and joy, they don't know what an oil pressur guage is, and then again would any of us when driving in anger be able to keep an eye on it. So it looks like another set of AS16 shells and I suppose I'd better strip and relap the oil p release valve and flush out the pump. A uprated oip pressure sw wired to a bright LED just where the ign light is and move that over below the Indicator light a la Mick Smith is in order BUT before I just throw the heap together again just what stage are Pace at with their new sump pan is the modded system on the market yet cos if it's nearly there I'd hang on for a week or two .them again knowing just how slow Pace are perhaps not I could still be in bits come halloween. Any comments.

jj

Hi Johnty,

My car was in RatRace about 2 months ago, when i was there they were putting the engine back into Andy's(?) car, for testing, apparently there were a few parts that needed fabricating, but i got the impression that was down to RatRace not Pace.

The Sump, Pump and Oil tower do look the Dogs doodahs.

Cheers

Daren.

Andy sent out an update on the 27th June. His car's on the road and he'd put 120+ miles on it at the time of his writing. It sounds like it's a great success. Andy was going to contact Neil at Pace to work out pricing and some initial discounts for those that had already registered interest. Haven't heard anything since then. Perhaps you should all contact Pace to gently coerce them?

Worcs L7 club joint AO

Membership No.id=red> 4379id=blue>

Johnty - I sent you an update didn't I?

Car has now had about 1k miles on it and is still going strong. Oil pressure is set at 70psi (any higher under hot load was giving 100psi when the oil was cold, so we didn't want to go higher than this). Temperatures vary but have yet to go higher than 80degC (to be clear, I have a Mocal/Laminova cooler in one of the scavenge circuits).

The delays aren't really Pace's fault.

We're currently loooking at about a 10% discount.

From Pace:

" The kit with ref to sump, oil pump assy, pulleys, belt, oil pressure in assy

new engine mount. £780. Oil tank. £125.00"

You then have pipes and a few other sundry items. I reckon 1000-1100 all in less 10%. You don't have to get the tank from Pace.

Ratrace still (I think) have to get in touch with Pace about fitting issues (a few parts had to be modified slightly, plus thinngs like binning the internal oil pump needed doing) and the system still (ideally) has to be track tested. I'll be doing this on Le Sept.The car came back too late to get any testing done prior to this.

Neil might well let you have a system earlier than this though if you give him a call.

Meanwhile I'll be doing more road testing this weekend and will try and get some photos, measurements and instrument readings done this weekend.

Ah... Yes Andy, I got the update too but when is it appropriate to place an order? And how long is the 10% discount valid? I have postponed the build of my own engine due to missing liners (that I just heard that they have turned up). The only parts missing for my new engine is the dry sump and a steel oil pump rotor. But it's all this winters work.

----

Modern man embraces the machine. The machine exists to make him happy. I shall provide man with the machines that make him happy.

- Par Bonk 1893

Ah... Sorry for going anonymous... It's me, Peter...

Peter Simons

----

Modern man embraces the machine. The machine exists to make him happy. I shall provide man with the machines that make him happy.

- Par Bonk 1893

He didn't Pace did they came up with a new casting which is about the same but definatly no worse than the wet sump. The difference between theirs and the Caterham one is that Pace use a double scavange from both ends of the sump gully whereas Caterham ramp their gully and use a single scavange from the rear.

jj

I've got a few photos but they ain't very good owing to lack of space (to get good angles for the shots). I'll drop them on some web space in the next few days and will try to get more done anon.

My ground clearance has also been helped with some spacers on the LHS engine mount.

I'm not intending having any majorly in depth chats with Pace until I get back from Le Sept (after 27th July) and have therefore put the system under duress! Suggest if anyone is desperate they have a word with Pace and see what they say (as I believe Johnty has).

Note however that fitting instructions are unlikely to be available (though I stand to be corrected). I can provide photos as required assuming I'm in the country and will be trying to get to some area meetings in the near(ish) future. Should hopefully be at the Surrey one in a couple of weeks.

Also I'm not sure if Ratrace/Protune have shared info with Pace yet about fitting and any difficulties they had.

I think your steel oil pump rotor will be surplus to requirements with the Pace system Peter as it does not use the internal pump for the pressure stage...

Ahh good about the steel rotor... It's the only vital part (except for the dry sump) that I haven't ordered yet. Anders Jansa seems to have a spare one though. I could talk to him. (he offered it to me for three or four beers...)

Ah yes one more undecided part, the clutch. Considering a Quarter Master twin plate thingie but I haven't looked too far into that yet. I will not need it until next spring...

Cheers

Peter Simons

----

- Par Bonk 1893

Si, Jawohl, Oui, Kyllä!

or in other words Yes. He has a couple of sets now.

:-))))

Peter

Peter Simons

----

- Par Bonk 1893