Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec 3D Map - anyone got one?

philwaters

Hi,

My starting problem seems to still be present and after borrowing a cool ammeter from work I have determined that the altrnator and battery are ok and the starter seems ok, also. The next bit to try is the mapping and am keen to have a look at this. Does anyone have a Zetec map they could sent me. I am running Gems, but can have a look at anything I think. The car is in standard tune running on carbs (160bhp)..

Would be much appriciated, although it is too late for my hair I'm afraid smile.gif

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running wink.gif

Thanks Julians,

Was it you that had a problem with hot starting - which is what I seem to be suffering from. Starts fine in the garage before a blat, but get home and try to start again straight away and it struggles to turn over past a compression stroke. Did you have this?? (he says searching his bad memory) and how did you fix it - was it the cranking advance?

Phil Waters

Yes I had that problem. my ecu (which is quite an old DTA unit) does not have an option to set the cranking advance explicitly in degrees, it only has an option to set the number of teeth before TDC to fire whilst cranking (between 1 and 5), so there isnt too much fine control over it. I did play with this figure but it didnt seem to make a great deal of difference.

I havent cured it 100%, but I do seem to have reduced by enough for it not to bother me too much now. All I have done is put some heat shield wrap around the exhaust.

Do you still want me to email you the map (dont think it'll be of much use to you though, now you've explained your problem)

Ar I see,

I guess there isn't much point in sending your map, although the offer is appricated. I hope to have a look at my current set-up this weekend and adjust it down a little. Looking at my software it is on an option which looks quite easy to change.

Do you think your problem was your starter getting too hot or the advance then? I spent hours polishing my exhaust so am a little relucant to cover them up now smile.gif

Phil Waters

I think its probably a combination of both, the heat shield has definately helped ease the problem, but if I could alter the cranking advance properley that would probably eliminate it.

I guess you dont have to use wrap around the exhaust, you could wrap it around the starter motor. Or even make a heat shield out of aluminium or something like that to go between the exhaust and the starter.

I will live in hope until the weekend that mine is just set to high. I have some solder mat around the starter already and I think that does a good job of keeping off most of the heat.

I will see how it goes. Thanks for your advice thumbsup.gif

Phil Waters