Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec R400 revs

john aston

Car just exhumed from Carcoon after 3moths and gets its spring seeing to at The Autocentre on tuesday.Two queries

1. My crappy handbook is about K cars.Have regarded rev limit as about 7k - am I right or a bit higher ?

2.The shift lights are really irritating as they start to come on at fairly big intervals of revs so start low IYKWIM .They are the standard Caterham fit- is it poss to reset so they only start to appear at big revs ? eg no lights at all until 6k then 200 rev intervals ?

My technical ability knows no bounds- not only did I refit the battery today solo without burning down my house the car started first time.

Not sure what the rev limit for a Duratec - best call CC about that. I'd be surprised if it does not have a rev limiter built into its engine management.

The shift lights have to start coming on earlier than 1000rpm before the rev limit or there is not enough perceptible progression towards the point at which they are fully on or start strobing. The car might accelerate from 6000 to 7000 rpm in well under 0.5secs.

If they are the ACES shift lights fitted by Caterham, they are not adjustable. ACES do however do an adjustable control box (SureShiftSB controller) which can be used with the same display unit used by CC (it's just that CC only buy a fixed control box for their standard production cars).

HTH

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

John,

you can download the new manual for your car from the CC website (under technical). It may be worth contacting them for new hard copy- later owners of Ford engined cars seem to have been sent one, but those of us who were "early adopters" missed out. Rev limit is quoted at 7600rpm.

If your car is like mine, I know they are of similar age, there is the ACES controller under the dash near your right knee. It incorporates a brightness control and full programing for the shift lights. You may have a manual for it.........though probably not 😬. Drop me a blat mail if you want me to send you a copy.

Cheers,

Neil

Build pictures here

Guantanamo Bay Orange SUPERLIGHT R400......

The Duratec R400 should have fully adjustable shift lights. The engine's redline is stated at 7800RPM in my Duratec manual (it's out, so you should be able to get a copy from CC).

I've set my shift lights to start coming on from 5500 onwards. I limited the lights at 7500 (when they just all flash red). I may want to dial down 100 or so as I hit the limiter a few times on the track.