Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4-1 competition exhaust and Brise starter motor - the solution!

Shad

As a few people know, the Caterham 4-1 competition exhaust and Brise starter motor don't play nice together since there's a severe lack of clearance. I searched and searched but I couldn't find a way around this other than either buying a different exhaust or starter motor, so I took matters into my own hands.

The important bit:

The terminal in the way of the exhaust came in through the plastic terminal housing and was crimped into a thin wire (it's only the switch feed after all, nothing with much current). I saw no reason why this terminal couldn't be 'moved' to some other part of the starter motor housing that was clear of the exhaust. So that's exactly what I did.

I soldered (poorly) and crimped a new lead onto the connection and drilled a hole in the back plate for it to feed through. After re-fitting into the car and making sure it still worked and cranked the engine, I cut the old terminal and removed the whole connection from the terminal housing block. The wire was carefully routed inside the starter motor to ensure it wouldn't interfere with the solenoid, the back plate replaced, and high-temp liquid gasket used to seal the hole for the new terminal lead.

So basically, with a bit of ingenuity, it's possible to make the 4-1 competition exhaust and Brise starter motor (or Caterham copy) fit together *smile*

Click here to read the full article and see pictures

Hopefully this will be useful to others in the future!

Simon

niknak.org

I have a 4-1 caterham exhaust on a 1.6 ss and a Brise starter( fitted in Italy by the previous owner). I will take a look and see if this mod has been done or how it has been done. The wiring is close to the exhaust but doesn't touch by a long way. I had no idea there was an issue.

I have recently removed the engine, having to take out the starter. The bottom most Allen bolt for the starter is a pig to get to, in fact I ended up using grips to undo it, other than a cut down allen key, any thoughts on how to get it done up nicely?

Doug

That's interesting Doug - would love to see the difference then, maybe it's an earlier/later exhaust? I believe the 4-2-1 was changed slightly to fit better with starter motors, didn't think the 4-1 had the same treatment.

For the starter motor cap head bolts, I use a hex socket on a 12" bar. A set of these is invaluable:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13154/Hand-Tools/Sockets-Hex-Hex-Keys/Sockets-Hex/Hex-Socket-Set-5Pc-Drive

Simon

niknak.org

I have a set of those, but the bolt in question is tucked in behind the solonoid and I can't get a straight run onto it, I have tried a set of ball end allen keys but that was too long and fowled on the exhaust, guess the angle grinder is coming out then !

I will take some photos and send them on when the snow lets me move the cars and get in the garage !!

Doug