Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torque setting - rear dampers

Dyrill

• 2 months later...

The top hex bolt appears to be 3/8" Imperial (as confirmed in other threads here). Does anyone know where I can obtain a hex socket (1/2" drive) of such a size? I've searched numerous catalogues and on-line, and drawn a blank so far *confused*

Peter Burt

Nverona

No, I think the hex size is 3/8" - having tried it, it's bigger than an 8MM hex but smaller than a 10mm, therefore something around 9mm which is, I think, 3/8" imperial. But where do I buy one *confused* *confused*

Peter Burt

They're 1/2" imperial bolts, caphead at the top and standard hex headed bolts at the bottom. Use an angle grinder to cut off a couple of inches from a 3/8 Allen key and push it into a 3/8 socket. Or if you search the recent archive this was covered within the last few weeks. Torque is 60lbft in old money.

My Caterham Owner's Manual states 60 lbft f(78 NM) or the upper and lower damper mount, 1994 dedion.
That's interesting. I was quoting from the K-series DD Assembly Guide PDF (where it gives 55Nm for the upper mount, but omits a value for the lower mount). My R400 Duratec Assembly Guide gives pretty much the same values -- 54Nm top and bottom. Perhaps CC have reduced the recommended torques since the mid-90s?

JV

Paul

Thanks for mentioning the other threads re hex bits and cut down allens. I had been searching on 1/2" drive which would explain why nothing came up - all the ready-made hex bits seem to be on 3/8" drive. There are clearly some other imperial hex bolts on the car so I may invest in a "set-on-a-rail"

Cheers

Peter Burt