Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel/tyre size v speed across the line.

Ivaan

My 1.6K Roadsport is currently on 14" wheels with 185/60R14 Toyo R888's. This gives a overall diameter of 555mm, and hence a circumference of 1.744m.

When sprinting with this set up, I believe I'm loosing time because the car's further down the rev range when exiting the corners, and there's less revs/metre for acceleration. I'm particularily thinking about the last hairpin at Curborough and my slow(ish) speed across the line

I'm interested in knowing the circumference of the 13" wheels. Am I correct in thinking that the O/A dia will be approx 25mm less ( given the same profile tyres ), or 530mm, with a circumference of 1.665m. This would be around 5% smaller, and equivalent to a similar lift in hp?

I've also questioned the suspension set up in a seperate thread, though the two would obviously be connected.

Cheers, Clive

ps

would fitting 205/60/13" rear tyres have the same effect ?

I would suggest carrying 3rd gear through the molehill instead of second....... lots of time to be gained there if you can overcome the thought of oooohhhh I've always done the mole' in 2nd 😶‍🌫️

If It aint yellow, wonky and wobbly................ 😬

Ivaan

You can play with tyre sizes to your hearts content here

Exiting the final hairpin at Curborough is very tricky and I don't pretend to have a solution for you. However I believe it's far more down to the driving than the profile etc?

What speed are you doing across the line?

Edited by - FlymoFraser on 30 Dec 2008 19:36:19

wonkycustard

Think you will find the diameter of a 185/60R14 is almost identical to 205/60/13"

here

That was rather unexpected when I made that change

Not sure its true with Toyo R888's

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.