Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problem fitting gearbox to engine

Steve Jones

I have hit a problem fitting a 5 speed gearbox to a Sigma 1.6 150. All the bolts are in expect the last, on the left hand side just below the starter motor. The instructions say fit rearwards from the engine into the bell housing. The engine has a moulded groove, but there is no way the correct bolt is going to fit as the hole is just way too close to the engine moulding. The only way I could get in that way is with some serious filing of the engine block which does not sound like a good idea.

I could fit the bolt the other way, from gearbox into engine. CC seem to be on holiday till 6th Jan I can't get any advice there.

Question: Can I put the bolt in the other way, or will this fail the dear SVA. The problem bolt is on the left side so probably can't be dealt with at a later date without taking the engine out again.

Has anybody else experience this and what thoughts do you all have on how to proceed?

Help much appreciated.

Stev

Absolute Beginner

Are you sure you're using the correct bolt? I'm not familiar with your setup but would a caphead bolt fit rather than a conventional hex headed bolt? My 2litre Vx uses caphead bolts in this area and definitely would not accept a conventional hex headed bolt.

In case you're not familiar, capheads are the ones with a round head and have a hex socket in the top to take an Allen key. The heads are a lot smaller diameter compared to a conventional bolt. There are also spring washers that are the same diameter as the head available.

Ivan,

looks like the same location. You have put your caphead in from the gearbox end (behind!). My instructions clearly say insert rearwards - ie from engine to gearbox. Presumable yours said the same and you chose to ignore - and it caused no problems at a later date?

Thanks or the photo - really helpful

Absolute Beginner

From your photo it looks as though the engine casting is tapped, so the bolt must come through from the gearbox side. Is the boss on the bellhousing counter bored so that the caphead fits inside it? If it is I would say its conclusive. Either way its the only way it'll fit. Good luck with the rest of the build.