Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Boot cover to fit 1996 S3 with Arch FIA Roll Bar

pburt

Looking for boot cover to fit a non-SV S3, now fitted with an Arch (ie single diagonal) FIA roll bar. The rear sloping tubes are much thicker than on the standard bar, so need the boot cover with the bigger holes to suit. Also needs to fit over hoodsticks if that's relevant.

Very good/excellent condition (or unused!) preferred.

Peter Burt

Hi Ian

Thanks for the thought. This was going to be 'Plan B' in the event I cannot source one ready-made. Jill Judd has quoted me c. £40 to make the alterations (and indicated that it was a very fiddly job - tricky to get right - could end up with puckered holes 😳 apparently)

They do come up occasionally (boot covers that is *smile*), so fingers crossed.

Peter Burt

Peter,

I got a new one today (from CC Dartford) for my Birthday!

I haven't taken it out of the bag yet but I do know you have to fit all the poppers. This means a second hand one may have the poppers in the wrong place.

I looked at my old boot cover but I think it would need altering where the front tubes as well as the sloping rear tubes come through which is why it may not be economical to modify.

Did you fit the 2 bolts above the rear shocks? If you need some turning down, give me a shout.

Bruce.

SM25T- Tell me about it........... *mad*

Bruce - That's interesting, as I thought that CC no longer stocked the boot cover for the Arch roll bar (which has thicker rear tubes than the current Caged bars). And you're right, the old cover would also need alteration around the front tubes, so, all in all, it could end up as a bit of a dog's dinner (or even a dog's 🙆🏻!!) I'll give CC a call.

No, I haven't fitted the lower front bolts yet but I do have the correct, slim-headed ones. Are you saying that these could still be too thick? Is that what you mean by 'turning down' - making them thinner still?

Peter Burt

Peter,

CC told me the latest Boot Cover pretty much 'fits all'. I'll let you know how accurate that is when I try mine out!

Does your passenger headrest hit the FIA diagonal?

I only had a couple of standard 7/16 UNF bolts so turned them down in my lathe so the heads were 3.5mm thick. (Look down the hole when you remove your std roll bar). It sounds like you already have the correct bolts. It's a bit of a pain taking the rear shocks off to fit them, especially as the std roll bar doesn't use them, but I consider it more than worthwhile. (Squirt some waxoil around there while your at it).

I will also have to sell my std 1/2 hood to buy one that fits the FIA bar. These things just keep adding up don't they!

Looks like we will be doing some track days together then!

Bruce.

Edited by - Brucey on 1 Dec 2008 21:35:32

I may be at CC in the next couple of days so will see if I get the same answer as you did!

No conflict between diagonal and headrests at all - mind you, I don't have the seats right back; I think they might impinge if fully back.

Yes, I looked down to where the bolts fix - it is a very close fit above the damper.

I'm told the standard weather gear still fits over the FIA bar. I have yet to put that to the test though!

See you on track maybe.

Regards

Peter Burt

Bruce, thanks for the heads-up on the boot cover. CC do indeed still supply a specific one for the old FIA bar, it just isn't listed on the website. I had made the mistake of not picking up the phone to them! Anyway, now bought for 65 quid and I've got a popper-project for the Xmas break.

Oh yes, belated happy birthday from me too *wavey*

Peter Burt

Thanks for the birthday wishes *thumbup*

Do they have a special section for Saga Seveners 😔

For information, the Boot Cover I got from CC was:

1990 FIA Special Boot Cover

Ref: 77659

Made by Oxted Trimming Company

Bruce.

Edited by - Brucey on 5 Dec 2008 22:36:52