Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake light switch

John E

I can almost see the replies, you dont brake in a 7, brake less, use the box, dont worry about those behind they wont catch you any way but my brake lights only come on with significant pressure on the stop pedal. The car is 1990 with a pressure switch in the braking system. I've heard that there is a more modern type of switch available, is this true and how much and from where. I really dont want to take the original out unless its absolutely necessary.

John,

My car has a mechanical switch fitted inside the pedal box and can be adjusted for sensitivity rather than relying upon pressure in the system. Probably a straight forward upgrade for a man of your abilities.....I'll pack a screw driver and I'll show you mine on Monday.

Andrew.

I had a similar problem on my '91 supersprint. I fitted a motorbike mechanical switch, locating the switch body in the pedalbox, and attatching the acctuating spring to the brake pedal. Works perfectly and allows fine adjustment by screwing the switch in and out.

• 4 weeks later...

Brian,

I simply changed the switch for a new one and according to those who try to follow me the brake lights are now working.

A further upgrade would be a simple electrical on off switch which I would have to attach to a bracket on the plunger itself. There is no obvious fitting facilty on my 1990 car so it would be an"inhouse" job.

Best of luck.

The Caterham kit is complete with mounting bracket and a 10 min.job to fit.I wouldn`t bother fabricating my own.

Of course you leave the original switch and simply lead the wires into the pedal box.I fitted them between two small strips of old neoprene to stop chaffing.You could use silicone instant gasket.