Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Halfshaft nuts?

Peter T

I am going to replace my rear disks tomorrow and need to find out what size the nuts are, also i take it that one is left handed thread, is it the nearside that has this backward thread?

Thanks Peter.

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Life begins at 40(00rpm)

I normally watch Uni Challenge - but forgot tonight. I'd have had a shock if I'd seen that - but no, I didn't graduate from such an esteemed college. (Not even red brick me, more glass, steel and concrete.)

So who was the doppelganger? Is he someone I'd be proud to be mistaken for?

Damn, no make that double damn, the largest socket that i have is only 38mm, also my poor old torque wrench only goes to 150lbft, Aghhhhhhhhh. Any one willing to hire or lend the two for a good cause? (Beer tokens gladly given)

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Life begins at 40(00rpm)

Ah - I figured there was some jesting in there somewhere, but someone told me they'd seen a Pashley on U.C. a long time ago and I wondered if this was the same character resurfaced! Not the commonest of names.. unless you're a Yorkshireman (which I'm not, btw).

A lot of people ask if I'm the hillclimber of the same name.

Peter - I've lent my hubnut socket to a Sierra owner (?!), but I'll see if I can get it back soon... where are you?

Think your biggest prob may be getting the old ones off, rather than rounding up the kit.

(I have heard of them being removed very easily with a compressor-driven impact wrench, but I can't help there).

They seem to tighten considerably in use and can sometimes need you to have the car on the ground, handbrake hard on, in gear, wheels chocked, tyre deflated a bit and a very big breaker bar on the socket with a short socket extension to rest on an axle stand to stop the socket slipping off the shallow nut.

I helped to do this a while back on another 7 and the nyloc insert had kind-of fused onto the shaft and the force needed to turn it was staggering (literally). I had too stand on a chair and let all my weight (well all 11st of it) drop on the end of a 24'' bar just to turn it less than a flat-at-a-time.

I hope you don't have that much trouble, but be warned!

The torque wrench I have (which you are welcome to borrow if practical) is huge (30'') so gives a fairly easy pull, but at about 240 lb ft max, it's no good for removing them.

I think I quoted the green and white nylocs the wrong way roung, btw...

According to my Assembly Guide, the LH nut is plain and the RH is green (and the LH nut has a LH thread). Final tightening is best done with the car on its wheels and the brakes applied.

JV