Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine weight - K-series

rj

It's been discussed a few times in the past, but at long last I've had a chance to throw a VHPD engine on the calibrated set of scales:

72.84kg

This was the bare engine with MGF wet sump, coil pack, distributer HT leads and the bulky Rover alternator. However the engine was fitted with the lightweight Julian Weight Watcher Thompson cam cover. No flywheel nor any induction fitted.

Removing the mentioned items would probably mean that a stock engine - with the ordinary cam cover - would weigh in at 68-69kg. An R500 flywheel will add 3,167g Jenveys... Hmmm... Haven't had them on the scales, but a guess would say 2kg incl fuel rail and injectors. In other words the engine ready to run weighs 75kg!

I'm going to do a little work on the engine and will post the weight of it once I've finished.

have a look to see if the MGF engine mount it still fitte, if so remove it and you`ll save 1.5 kg oily removed mine and fitted a blankilg plate a couple of weeks ago

Tweeky

In a purple haze

Edited by - tweeky on 1 Oct 2008 16:58:31

Edited by - tweeky on 1 Oct 2008 16:59:18

Dave,

Too many HTTPs in your first linkThis will work

Just the scavenge pump bracket and tensioner will add 2kg, so obviously the dry sumped is a lot heavier than the wet. A nice magnesium R500 sump pan will help though...

I'm also on the drawing board to have made custom brackets for the pump and at the same time being an engine mount to save the heavy 5mm iron anchor as used in the standard installation - I'll also be aiming for a toothed belt like in the Pace installation. - And try to get rid of the nasty hose from the sumpt to the pump 😔

Lots of things to do when preparing a new engine.