Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Intake Plenums

MAK

As a result of starting to install a Pace DS, I have stumbled upon the possibility that there are a variety of standard intake plenums.

My Engine is a 1800 K 140 BHP, with a single throttle, and no mods fitted in an SV built in 2004.

my plenum is Ally casting.

The DS install has already raised two points.

1)The Pace Engine mounting bracket will need to be modified to lower the engine so that I can get the engine cover on.

2) As standard this plenum is provided with a support strut which connects the underside of the plenum to the engine block. This attachment at the engine block becomes in accessible when the DS pump is fitted.

Two questions

1) Are there alternative plenums that result in a lower engine height- I think I have seen a plastic plenum.- do they offer any other advantages -such as reduced weight, increased performance, possibly even no further need for the engine strut.

2) How important is this strut if I retain the standard Cast Ally plenum.

Cheers

Malcolm

there are plastic plenums (plena?!), the ally one is generally fitted to the VVC cars, and is bulkier as you've noticed.

I'll do you a swap for a 1600 Plastic one ... *tongue*

The support strut seems puny and irrelevant but isn't, it got a mention in Dave Walker's column in Practical Performance Car in the last couple of months, apparently vibration of the whole plenum assembly can cause the idle control valve to crank wide open, meaning that when you come off the throttle, the idle is way high because the IACV stays open. The only way to reset it is then to power off and on again.

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B