Click here if you are having website access problems ×

8" Rear wheel - Advantages & Disadvantages

The Boy

I have a 150 Sigma with Caterham 13" wheels and CR500 tyres all round.

I was looking to replace the rear for 8" wheels with CR500. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? Fitment, handeling etc.

Many thanks for help in advance, sorry if sill question.

Learning new skills all the time, 7800 miles completed.

• Support Team

You could also say fatter rear tyre = better traction = understeer. You may need to adjust the suspension set up to eliminate this - first stop could be to increase the rake slightly.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

• Support Team

Caterham 8 spokes only come in 6" or 8" so if that is the wheel you want you have no choice. Putting a 205 tyre on them is fine. I've run 205/60R13 A048R, R888 and CR500 on Caterham 8" rims with no problem.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Sorry to hijack the thread, but speaking of the tyre widths. I have A048 and CR500. Yokos at the back are 205 (13") and CR500 are 195 (15"), but I could swear the contact patch on the CR500 is wider than the A048... *confused* Also, the CR500 look almost square from surface to sidewall.

Are we saying that the performance of say a 205 60 13 R888 is better on 8” rims than 7”, or is it just different, or would the average driver ( me 😳 ) not really notice much difference anyway 🤔

I couldn’t get my head round buying 8” rears when I knew that 7’s would do the job I wanted ( no intention of going above 205’s ) and were within the manufactures recommendations for the tyre I was intending to use.

Just because Caterham didn’t do a 7” didn’t seem a good enough reason for me to buy a heavier 8” rim, obviously this would be different if you were only buying the rears and you needed a matching set.

Why do Toyo say the 205’s are not suitable for anything over 7.5” when we all know that lot’s here use them without any problems whatsoever on 8” & 8.5”, possibly with better results *confused*

This one has always confused me a bit, no doubt I will soon be educated on this matter in more detail 😬