Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R300 drivability

MarchHare2008

Thinking about buying a 2002 R300 (160 bhp K, roller TBs). I have read that cold starting, idle and low rpm driving are issues.

Is this true and if so are there relatively simple fixes (e.g. new ECU/re-map)?

Alternatively is it possible to live with it?

Edited by - MarchHare on 4 Sep 2008 15:53:16

I've got exactly what your looking at, '02 R300 with RTBs.

Didn't have an issues with low RPM once I'd adjusted to the 7 (your sensitivity with the loud pedal will probably improve), same with idling - no issues at all.

I have however killed two batteries (the crappy Banner ones - had no issues since I installed a Powervamp) in the 2 years of owning it, primerily because it was my daily driver for the first 12-14 months and was started in the depth of winter after spending the night outside. I would imagine that garaged it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Now I have a dull motorway trudge to work so use the tintop for that...

I had an R300 and I had a problem starting it when hot. It let me down a number of times including busy traffic (after stalling - my mistake) and I had to push it to the side of the road. This problem is not limited to the R300 though. It became very annoying. I also had to fit a battery master switch as the battery would get drained if left for only a week.

got the same engine. Took it to Steve Greenauld and had the ECU mapped. Also had verniers fitted to time the cams correctly.

Had no issues since, did this 4 years ago, much better power, it actually produces around 162bhp now, which it didn't when we got it on the rollers, another case of Caterham being over optimistic on power outputs *cool*