Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series temp senders re-location

skydragon

I find that my car (1.6 K-series, with no heater) displays a water temp of around 80 when fully warmed up.

However, I've noticed a few times, that when I've stopped in heavy traffic that the displayed water temp can climb to near 100. Reading a few threads on Blatchat, I think what is actually happening is that the water temp senders are getting heatsoak from the exhaust manifold when the car is hot and stationary and therefore causing a false water temp to be displayed (??).

I've read that re-locating the water temp senders (ECU sender and gauge sender) away from the exhaust manifold will cure this. (Of course I may actually have a overheating problem with my car... but I'm fairly sure it's false temp reading).

I presume I fit the following Caterham part into the water hose that is fed around the back of the engine and links the existing water rail above the exhaust manifold to the thermsostat housing, this will enable me to fit two new senders out of the way of the heat from the exhaust maifold ?? Is this part designed to fit in that hose - or somewhere else ??

water submarine

Any advice welcome.

My personal observation is that it made no difference at all, the temps were still the same.

I'm not sure the heat soak theory has a lot of validity since the water is still moving in the rail when the car is still and it's the end of the sensor in the water flow that sends the signal . Also the fan switches in at the correct temperature on the gauge and the fan switch is not above the exhaust.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

MAV provoked me into fitting the submarine - although TBH it wasn't his fault *wink* - and no, I've not noticed any differences in temp behaviour.

Details here

The problem that triggered this was the head shearing off the sender - leaving the body in the water-rail. Didn't want to risk a leak in the rail at the time - so the submarine fitted the bill.

Do remember to earth it to the block.... *wink*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com