Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2,000 miles

Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative

Nothing to do with me

this one on Pistonheads

How few? *eek* *nono* *eek*

What has it been used for? (No need for a PX seat - it hasn't driven beyond the garden boundary!

And there are a host of others with equally unlikely low mileage. 10,000 for a 1991 car *eek*

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 12 Aug 2008 22:42:38

I’d be wary of a very low mileage car even if it has been well maintained, there is nothing like a bit of use to make sure everything works.

As a youngster I was given my Grandparents car, it was 6 years old and had 5,000 on the clock. It had done fewer than 500 miles in the previous 2 years – I put more than that on it the first weekend I had it. But the amount that went wrong due to it's early under-use:

Rear break cylinders needed replacing as soon as I braked hard as the seals went.

Put my foot down and blew a hole in the exhaust.

The tyres all needed replacing as they were shot from age although they had plenty of tread.

Gearbox packed up after 24,000 miles and needed a re-build.

Other than that it was a great car until my sister's boyfriend wrapped it around a tree on the Isle of Wight *rolleyes*.

I think there is a happy medium when it comes to mileage.

owner of car lives local to me spotted it other week and had a chat with him

not been used much over last few years due to major illness offered it to his sons but they were not interested *confused* had px seat when i saw it

seemed all ok, also has another but didnt see it think that one is also on pheads.

long suffering father of K16TOY (THE DOUGHNUT KID !!!!!)

Can of worms Stephen!

Maybe in this case it's genuine. But.......... I'm absolutely certain, that the vast majority of sevens out there are not, due to limited mileage insurance policies. I've seen loads for sale over the past few years, that supposedly have covered less than 1200 miles annually *confused*

As Victor Meldrew might say " I don't believe it"

Nigel.

supposedly have covered less than 1200 miles annually

Depends what you use it for I guess - mine's averaging only a bit more than that, but 90% of them are track miles. Which are very good for "making sure everything works" (or ensuring that something will break *rolleyes*)

R

I see what you mean about the low spot but that could just be a reflection from something. I assume those are Weller steel wheels? I think they rather suit the car actually. *thumbup*

Even if things have deteriorated, it wouldn't take too much effort to replace brake and coolant hoses, slave cylinders or even the master cylinder seals.

Well mine covered nil miles last year 😔

In the first 18 months it covered 22,000 miles…….. some recent years have been about 2000 miles. It went from drive every day to my fun car

I have bought a Midget err 3+ decades ago that had covered a lot less than that per year and was 5 years old put on another 70k in 4 years. Other than a lot of the suspension rubbers need changing when I bought it and the slightly worn king pins were changed. Then I did not spend any money on it for 3 years other than serviceable item such as tyres, oil etc later a bit of upgrading *smile*

Then again with tin tops I have bought an SDI with 2.5K miles a year, a Jaguar 5k a year and Mercedes with 3.5k a year but all were 3 years old with one owner and one main dealer records.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

• 2 months later...