Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

HELP!! New build, engine stuck in gear?!

Rob Patching

Hi everyone. i'm in need of some advice.

after successfully starting my engine today, i thought i'd try putting it in gear and seeing if/where my clutch cable needs adjusting.

car is 1.6K with BGH type 9 gearbox.

so i started the engine, dipressed the clutch, tried first, went in no problem, great i thought, clutch is working. slowly lifted clutch, started to roll forward. sorted. got half way out my garage and thought thats enough for now. stopped complety, tried to put it in reverse (pushed the gear stick down and moved to left) got a crunching noise and the gearstick was stuck!

situation now is that gear nob wont move at all, is kind of up towards where reverse should be but is not in any gear because with my foot off the clutch, i can push the car freely as though its in neutral.

what have i done?! all advice greafully recieved!

Rob

i've removed the 3 bolts holding the stick on, but its still stuck solid. it would probably be possible to wedge something between the bottom of the gear stick and the gearbox to try and pry them apart, but could forcing it like this do more damage??

I've levered the base off, which has freed up the stick in that i can now move it around but its still stuck solid as in i cant pull it off. from what i can remember when i put it on, isnt it just a fork on the end of the gear stick, so i must have some how got this stuck underneath the selector on the gearbox?

Rob

The housing with the spherical bearing pivot point though which the gear lever passes is quite a close fit to its hole in the gearbox. If it goes squint when pulling it upwards it may jam.

The "fork" on the end of the lever although a special shape is still basically a fork and I don't see it getting caught up with the selector rod.

With the lever assy out, you should be able to move the selector rod in/out of all the gear positions quite easily with a broad blunt screwdriver. If not, the something sticking in the 'box.

Cheers,

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

The 'box that came with my kit did something similar. Luckily it was still out of the car at the time and CC swapped it out for me. If it has skipped the detents it can be a real struggle to get it back (I have a Massey Ferguson that does it from time to time)

Here's a combined suggestion/confession...

When I installed mine, I somehow managed to install it 180 degrees 'out' (the gear lever - not the box!!) and I had similar symptoms. 😳 😳 Some gears were hard to find, reverse impossible! I also had a brief but (luckily) successful struggle to remove it followed by a much more successful re-installation. Worth a check!

Steve

i've managed to get the gear lever off (by removing the circlip and dismantling it!) and i can now see that the selector is over to the rhs underneath the ledge where reverse is. but its stuck both to push forwards and to move to the left, which should be the directions it needs to move in to get back to neutral?

Really starting to worry that i'm gunna have to be taking this engine back out! ☹️

My guess its the 1-2 selector rod that is not quite in the neutral position that will be stopping the thing. A shove on the selector forks (if you can see them) might get it back in place. With the top off the box I would have thought you would be able to get enough access.

Good luck!

bit of an update...

i refitted the gear lever (actually caterham sent me another just to check it wasnt something machined wrong on the lever). i can find all 5 forward gears no problem, but when i try to select reverse, i can push down and go to the left, but then when i try to push forward i cannot get it far enough to engage reverse. i'v tried with engine running, not running, pushing wheels, cluch in, clutch out, everything.

What's happening? Did bgh kindly forget to give me a reverse gear!?

no got the tunnel cover off so that i could try a different gear lever to illiminate that as the problem. basically i can get it over to the left past first when i push down, but i cant push forward as far as is nessecary to engage reverse. when i push forward i hit something solid and it wont shift!

Think I'm all out of ideas then, sorry. How about taking some photos of the hole in the g'box without the lever fitted for someone to check against theirs? If there's nothing visibly wrong then I'm guessing there's something out of place internally.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear