Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emerald and burnt chips

AdamQ

In an effort to find out why my blessed tachometer won't work, I've just had a look inside my Emerald and I'm pretty certain I've found the problem. Following the lines on the circuit board from Pin 12 quickly leads to a charred mess that was presumably formerly a chip (if that's what you call a little black cube with eight wire legs).

I suppose the sensible thing to do would be to post the ECU to Karl at Emerald who would no doubt fix it and get it back to me in a matter of days. However, just the thought of trying to find a post office that hasn't been shut down and then queuing for an age makes me very grumpy. Also, it looks like it'd be a five minute job for somebody who knew what they were doing.

So, has anybody any suggestions/recommendations for somebody who might be able to do this in the West Kent/East Sussex area? I'm wondering if a PC repair shop or somewhere similar might be a better bet than a standard autoelectrician?

Cheers,

Adam

Surely it's going to have to go back to Emerald to find out what the chip used to be?? Could have been anything!

I have to send mine back to get a K3 upgrade, perhaps when the "summer" is over! Can you use it as a chance to get the K3 upgrade at the same time, if you don't already have it?

Thanks all. I'm perhaps guilty of some exaggeration as half the letters and numbers on the chip are still legible and it seems to be one of a cluster of 5 all with the following identification:

IPS022G

05431[funny symbol that looks a bit like ()]R

I'll liaise with Karl at Emerald, who has for the second time in the past few weeks been extremely helpful (and very swift in getting back to me).

I ought to add that the problem hasn't just appeared out of the blue: my heater hose has blown off twice in the past 6 weeks, liberally dousing the Emerald with hot coolant (note to self - don't buy cheap and nasty jubilee clips).

Rich, good point about the K3 upgrade - thanks.

Thanks again to all,

Adam

Thanks Colin - where would I be without your help? *wink*

The avalanche capability is significantly enhanced by the active clamp and covers most inductive load demagnetizations.

Now why didn't I spot that?

I've assembled arc welder, chalk for marking measurements and a chain saw and I reckon I should be able to knock up a replacement before QI at 10.00 p.m.

Not sure I'm going to feature in 'Spotted' for a while!

Adam

Just before you crack out the heavy handed real-mans-tools, as a former local, perhaps I can advise you that IR who made the chip have a branch in Hurst Green, just 5 miles from Caterham themselves ;-)

Go collect a load of chips and then if you damage any with the arc welder, you can always try again!

p.s. ..or try a combination of wonder-web (that stuff blokes use to support their turn-ups)and superglue for better results.

Thanks Rich, though I have a sneaking suspicion that you're in league with Colin! *wink*

Superglue - now we're talking - the electrical equivalent of duct tape - marvellous!

I'll keep you all posted ... (and in the meantime I hope to stop tripping over my turn-ups).

Adam