Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starcom intercom w/Sensorcom in ear headsets

ELV15

Is anyone else using the sensorcom headsets with a starcom intercom?

I'm finding that the sensorcom headsets transmit loads of wind noise.

With my previous headsets, I ended up having to fit large windsocks on

the mic's. Has anyone tried this with the sensorcom headsets?

Kind regards,

Tom

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

Tony,

Thanks. I'm going to play around with some beefer windsocks to see if I can cut the wind noise. I'll let you know if this works!

AFAIK, the issue I'm having is because the Starcom setup is "open mike". The mic transmits all the time. This is great for full duplex conversations, but if you have a senstive mic (like the Sensorcom unit), you are subject to transmitting a lot of wind noise! You can control the VOX level, but this only changes the point where the music is muted and/or where the radio transmits. From what I gather, the Autocom unit actually has two mic's on on the outside of the mic and one on on the inside. The system compensates for the wind noise by subtracting the difference.

It would be really nice to have a setting for the mic sensitivity - which I believe the Starcom digital has.

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

Just returned from a 10 day trip to France using my Starcom Digital 1 and Sensorcom headsets and I have to say the wind noise does get tiresome at speeds much above 60-70. I had to turn mine off after a while, depriving us of the iPod unfortunately. I didn't play around with the mic sensitivity so maybe I need to do that.

As an aside, this is the first time I have used this setup, coming from Peltors with the heavy headsets, and although the bespoke moulded earpieces are comfortable in themselves, I found the position of the headset in the earpiece does rub on part of the ear cartilage. It gets quite uncomfortable after a couple of hours and makes the ear feel rather sore which I particularly noticed when putting the earpieces back in after say a fuel stop.

Overall impressions of this system are good but it does need some refining to make it as useable as my old Peltor system I think. Having said that, I definitely don't miss the sweaty earoles nor the impression, after a couple of hours, that your head is in a vice. *eek*

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 15 Jul 2008 11:55:27