Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Triple Pass Radiator -FIXED

Dutchy

My SLR has a R400 spec engine, the radiator may need replacing and I'm not sure whether to fit another triple pass radiator or look for an alternative.

Has anyone got any different variations in use??

Steve

(bloody pigeon!!!!)

Edited by - dutchy on 4 Jul 2008 21:14:12

Don't like the Caterham triple pass rad meself . . . that big old core with the end tanks welded on and no support, all wobbling about on rubber bobbins *eek*. My guess this is why so many fail at the core/tank join, and why Caterham themselves recommend "not to be used on the road with race springs fitted".

Various people do high capacity Caterham rads which have cores that are supported (e.g. Radtec) - IMO this is a better design IF you must have a big capacity rad.

However, my guess is the normal R400 ally rad will be fine, and it's £110 cheaper that a triple pass *thumbup*

On my engine (183bhp), i've found that the radtec that I bought has been more than man enough for the job and the matrix sits in a "frame" so you should experience less problems with killing it at the corners of the matrix when it flexes. They put some custom strengthening on it for me as it's flat mounted in my car. Probably costs me a tiny bit of airflow, but radtec reckon the smaller of their two rads is suitable for 200bhp, so no worries there.

Adam is correct. When Darren from parts and I discussed the ally rad, he was quite clear that if i was running race springs or a stiff setup ON THE ROAD, then the big ally rad was unsuitable as i'd kill it. Normal 7's are ok though if they're not too stiff and used on the road.

coyoteracer11: R400 radiators are just like in the picture above - all aluminium, no plastic. There are two drainage bolts (top and bottom) and two hose inlets. Looks very stirdy and fits quite nicely on the rubber bobbins. Be careful when bleeding the system though, as air does get trapped inside, so you should top up via the top drainage bolt to get as much of it out.

Just spoke to CC and the ford radiator won't fit my K series, they have suggested the one with plastic top and bottom (73157PL).Not that its in stock though for a couple of weeks!! *mad*

This has a fan fitted behind the radiator (different to my old one), however will this still work on my ECU control like my other fan???

I'm guessing it will?

Steve

Dutchy: Why don't you just get the R400 road rad? I wouldn't get the plastic tanked one because (as coyoteracer11 hinted at earlier) there are questions over their reliability.

Dunno what CC are on about saying the Ford rad won't fit a K . .. . I know a couple of Ks with them fitted. Guess the inlet/outlet pipes are a slightly different diameter or something? Though as I said, this doesn't mean you can't use them.

WRT your fan . . . if it's ECU triggered, it's irrelevant what rad you get. If it currently works as a pusher, refit it that way.

I recently fitted the 'ford' radiator to my '03 SV that was originaly a 140bhp 1.8K. It fitted as a direct swap.

This 'standard' radiator has always had enogh cooling capacity for me, both on track, sprints (now with 189bhp ( *wavey* to DJ)) and in HOT HOT deserts in the US (though 140bhp then).

So unless you have monster 250+bhp engine I would save your money over the upgraded rads.

What are the alleged reliability issues with the plastic tanked rads?

I've heard from a couple of people (a racing type and a polishing type) that the plastic tanked rads leak from between the core and the plastic. I've never actually seen one of these failed rads but nobody I know uses them. Maybe they're fine and the dodgy rumour was started by Westfield.

Has anyone else got experience of the Radtec, I'm heading down that route with a 11" fan sat behind it.

I spoke to CC's again and when I discussed the triple rad they said if it worked ok till the pigeon get another!!!

So I may plump for the in between and go for the Radtec.

I guess Radtec would be fitted with the rubber mounts, the triple pass was just bolted.

Steve

I've had a Radtec on my DVA' K series for 3 years. It's been completely leak free & has given no cause for concern. Two points. I did notice after changing from the standard rad was that the fan cycled differently whilst stationary. It comes on for shorter periods & stays off in between for much longer. I guess it must be related to the alloy rad's increased ability to reject heat.

During the colder months the coolant temperature is more stable with half the rad masked off. I made up a baffle to cover the core with a hole in the same position & shape as the fan. Also speeds up the warming process

D.