Click here if you are having website access problems ×

battery connection

akakubi

I have the usual Banner battery, but I a bit puzzled by what needs to be connected to the terminals. I figured out that there are no special connections, everything just bolts on.

The manual, however, fails to specify what exactly connects to the positive terminal. I can see there are at least two (maybe three) wires in the picture (in the manual that is) that go under the plastic lid, but aside from the thick red cable, I cannot tell what the other/s are. *confused*

I also have a short (two wires black/yello I think) lead with a round terminal that comes out of the engine loom near the battery. Where does it go?

Any help, please? *wavey*

Pictures would help too.

Thx!

There is a recessed rivnut in the panel beside the battery which is meant as an earth point for the two bk/yl eyelets however it has proved problamatic as it was fitted after powder coating. ☹️ By all means bolt the two eyelets onto it good and tight but run a short link wire from there to the battery neg to give good earth continuity. *thumbup* all the browns and reds go to the battery + the blacks go obviously to the - Check as well your loom earth points under the dash they also suffer from a heavy powder coating ☹️ and will need the wires removed and well abraded before refitting same TIGHTLY. 😬

Weve had electrical problems with all the new cars coming into Ireland.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Thanks, jj! I see now where the little cable goes. I suppose I could probably extend it to the engine block somewhere as well?

I will check under the dash tonight. It is a bit tight there, though. Can you tell me where exactly to look to find the earth connections under there?

Also, I do not have a brown cable (from the starter I presume) going back to the battery. There is only one brown lead and it goes to the alternator in my case (R400 Duratec). Only one red one goes back to the + battery so far. Or am I missing a cable from somewhere?

Val

On my Roadsport Sigma, I ended up with only two wires to the battery (1 black & 1 Red). I've not connected the lights yet but everything else seems to work OK. Can't be sure it's the same on yours as there's a separate wiring diagram for R400. Happy to take a few pics of mne if you want.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks! That is exactly what I ended up with: just two wires (red and black). Glad to hear that the car works just like that. My brown starter cable goes from the plus terminal on the starter (same as the red one) to the outside bolt on the alternator (the only place it can really reach). The battery negative is attached to the bellhousing.

Another wierd bit is the heater. I am not sure if you opted to have one. Mine came without a valve (where the hoses split) and an adjuster cable. What is more, the footwell of my car looks nothing like the one pictured in the manual, so there is no place to even route the cable to. *confused* There are no pre-drilled holes and the potential place where the know could have been is taken by a plastic box (immobilizer?) and cables. The hose were also all different from the ones described in the manual. Have they switched the heater to a newer design that no longer requires the cable and the valve? Or am I missing those bits. I've phone the factory, but still waiting for the reply.

If it is anything like our old cars (2002), the heater control simply fits in the upright bulkhead to the right of the driver's right knee. When sitting in the car, if you slacken the harness a little, you can just about reach it with your right fingertips.

I can take a picture today if you want.

7 related photos

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 29 May 2008 11:03:01

Val,

Glad you've got the wiring sussed.

When I get home tonight, I'll send you a photo of where the hole should be. If Caterham haven't fitted one for you, I guess you'll have to get on to the factory and ask them to send you one 😬

I do have a heater and I did get a valve - looks like it's been sawn off an antique samovar *smile* - again, I can send you photos but, on this count, I'm pretty sure you've been short-changed.

Steve

Thanks, Steve!!! *thumbup*

These are awesome pictures, telling everything I needed to know. Interestingly, it seems you have two (yellow/black) wires going to the earth point there, where I only have one cable - there were no more leads anywhere. Is the second one for some extra equipment (e.g. battery master switch perhaps? *confused*).

As for the heater, yup, they did forget to include parts. And to drill a hole in the scuttle as well. And the immobilizer is in the wrong place. 😬 So I guess I will have a bit of fiddling to do tomorrow (fingers crossed for the parts to arrive).

Thanks again for the help! *wavey*

No problem Val, seems like I'm only a few pages in front of you so I'm sure you'll return the compliment when the time comes *wink*. Have a successful weekend.

Gearbox oil, diff oil and interior trim for me...

Steve

edited to say: There are two B/Y wires going to a single connector (which is what you described in your OP) so I think mine and yours are the same.

Edited by - Bellissimmo on 30 May 2008 14:11:57

My bad, I meant it was one lead with two wires combined into one round terminal(yellow/black and black).

Yup, I am right behind you on the build. This makes it even more exciting to share the immediate experience as we "go", so to say. *thumbup*

I am yet to do the interior (although, mine being an SL, so I only have seats/harnesses to install) and the exterior bits, but I have already flushed the brakes and clutch. With the uprated brake master cylinder, the pedal effort is quite high... Will take some getting used to. 😬

Have a great weekend as well! Hope all parts fit as intended. 😬