Click here if you are having website access problems ×

air intake

akakubi

I look at the images of all of the engine options in the current Sevens (minus the R500) and cannot help wondering that having the air filter cone sitting so close to the hot running engine may not be good for performance. Aside from the carbon intake (as in the R500), has anyone done any kind of shielding or routing of colder air to the cone? Did it help? Or maybe I am not seeing straight and it does not really matter at all on the Sevens?

thx

I converted a nose cone with a small naca duct in the side just be the headlight mount then enclosed the filter so only air from this duct came in. it worked very well especially noticable for sprints on the start line where the underbonnet temp would easily get to 40+deg C

Simon

Ah, that sounds interesting. What did you wrap the filter in to keep it cool? How wide is the diameter of the duct? And, finally, did you have any issues with excessive dirt on the filter itself.

The reason I ask, is that I had a few cold air intakes on my other cars before and some of them threw off the MAF sensor after a while (even though I regularly cleaned the filter - K&N).

Thanks, Kevin!

This setup seems a bit too extreme for me though. I'd rather prefer not to have the bulge. But the filter arrangement is interesting.

I wonder if some standard cone filter box (say from the tuned Honda/Vaushaul crowd) could be adapted and then connected to the MAF with a flexible hose. Something to play with over the next winter season then, I guess. 😬

Not sure whether Caterham's version of the Duratec is, but BMW's 6 and regular Duratec (2.5L V6) had them.

These would get fouled over time and throw off the check engine light. The BMW would also stall occasionally under braking in hot weather.

Edited by - akakubi on 9 May 2008 08:58:05

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see this post before, so I'm a bit late off the mark.

My K series 1800 has the the intake facing the opposite way with the filter next to the pedal box - has anyone worked out a way of getting cold air into one of these?

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

Great stuff.

I am currently making an airbox to quieten the induction down a bit. It's not direct to head TB's so I have less room to play with. Was figuring on going 3" intake pipe or larger if I can. I like the idea/look of these cool air splitters. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery *smile*

Other threads point to 75mm on the R500 intake good for 230BHP according to Piper cross. Mine is not up to those BHP's so whatever that uses would be fine...

All up mine weights 1.12kg, Backing plate, box and filter, whilst the ITG filter and backing plate came in at 0.75 kg, so not a huge penalty.

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 17 May 2008 18:17:24