Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yoko AO21 original tyre depth?

Ralph Morgan

I had new rear 21s fitted recently, and I think the tyre tread depth indicator thingy showed 8mm when I checked out of general interest. They have about 500 miles on them so I'll check again and let you know if my 8mm is a complete fantasy.

Peter

In Memoriam DMG

Good luck getting some 21s. I tried last week and apparently there weren't any in the country *mad* Still waiting to hear when I can get some.

Mark

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm

Ralph

Just measured a new 185 60 13 for you with a digital calliper. New tread depth is 5.41 mm total tread depth measured in the centre grove.

Also remember that tread wear is not linier…. When there is lots of tread they wear faster then when they are close to the limit.

1997 HPC

When there is lots of tread they wear faster then when they are close to the limit.

I have wondered if that was the case. A048s only have around 5mm of tread when new, and this does seem to drop quite quickly. Any idea what the physics behind this would be?

cheers,

Darren.

From reading the many threads on tyres over the years, I can vaguely remember that the 70 profile A021s have more tread than the 60 profile when new, 8mm compared to 6mm respectively. There is also a general acceptance that the 60 profile tyres wear quicker than the 70s (and not just because they start with less tread).

Mine are 70 profile, and show 3-4 mm on the rears and 4-5 mm at the front after about 5000 miles use. Seems like I could do a track day and still have enough for the summer trips!

Think I'll change them round front to rear to even out the wear then they can all be replaced at once (less hassle but more cost!)

Thanks for the tips!

Got them fitted now. What a difference over the old ZV1s 😬, and I've only done 15 miles in the wet. Why didn't I make the change sooner!

Tread depth on the 185/60 R14 is 8mm (approx as I don't have a tread depth guage)

Mark

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm