Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4K Ignition coil

Scared Was The Sheep

I've got misfire issues and with the help of a man who knows, we've changed the distributor cap, rotor arm, spark plugs and HT leads. I'm reliably informed that the next step is to change the coil.

Unfortunately with me being slightly less than technical in these matters I'm having a spot of bother tracking one down.

Speaking to Halfords they believe that a Bosch ignition coil from a 1.4 16vi engine that wa fitted to an si engine from 94-97 may do.

The part number they have is F000ZS0005.

Does anyone have any experience in these matters and can offer an oipinion?

By the way it's for a 96 1.4 supersport

I would get the part nos from the old item and go to a decent part factor (Partco etc), not some employer of spotty 16 year olds who know little apart from how to connect an MP3 player to a car radio. The part factor will be able to look it up in a catalogue, I suspect the Metro 1.4 GTi will be thye main suspect. *smile*

I had a new coil fitted to my 1400SS back in 2001, although there was nothing wrong with it as it turned out, it's a GCL 143 from Unipart, used on several Rover/Land Rover vehicles.

MY BLAT-O-METER

2008: 16 (to 25th March)

2007: 70

2006: 89

2005: 91

2004: 64

2003: 66

2002: 66

2001: 79

2000: 32 (divorce!)

1999: NRA

Thank you all for the comments.

I'm not sure exactly what's causing it, but it's intermittent and has had a few tanks of fuel through it since it started.

The only thing I can tell is that, it sometimes clears with about 1/3, 1/4 throttle and seems to happen if I've sat stationary for a short while or pull away from stand still at pace.

If you know of a potential solution, please let me know

I suffered an intermittant missfire, typically over crests and dips or pulling away sharpish.

It proved to be the lambda wire chafing against the bellhousing. It was diagnosed by running the car in the dark and waggling various wires, until I saw a spark.

I never had any problem at tickover, such as in a queue, but mainly when the car goes "heavy" such as coming off a hump back bridge or through a dip at speed.

The wiring loom, with the lambda wire at the bottom, passed over the bellhousing, only clearing it by a few mm. I assume the heat of the engine bay caused it to sag further, then any up and down motion was causing a contact, eventually the insulation wore through, causing the missfire.

Once diagnosed it was an easy fix, re-wrap the lambda wire, then tape it up with the main loom, then tie wrap foam tape to the loom and finally tie it up about 3-4 inches clear of the bellhousing. It hasn't happened again 😬

My only experience with a faulty coil was on a Landy, it only happened when the coil got hot, after maybe 10 to 15 miles. A slight missfire would start, particularly under power. This got progressively worse until it just gradually died on me. Half an hour later it started fine, until it got hot again.

Edited to add,

My missfire, on the 7, was never permanent. If the wire shorted for more than a second or so the engine would die.

Edited by - Ged on 31 Mar 2008 21:24:21

• 1 month later...

nickh - I also have a 1.4 ss but 95 reg.

I had a similar(ish) issue last year in that under loads and sometimes at certain rpm (varied on drives but got lower as the car got hotter!) the car would missfire and act as if it was hitting the rev limiter.

I tried all the things that you did (even fitted a new coil (unfortunately I don't have the part number readily available as I moved house and all the Cat stuff is still in a box somewhere - if you really need it I can try and find it).

The new coil did not solve it and finally I changed the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) - even though it had been checked and cleaned - and this did the trick. It seems that as the engine was getting hotter the TPS was "breaking down" more and passing a dodgy signal to the ECU.

Fitting a new one fixed it - hopefully this may help you. You can read some of my more detailed posts at the time which better described what my symptons were.

Neil Wilson

Garfield - M100 EOW - Yellow/Green 1.4K SS

nickh - I hope my original post from last year helps - June/July timeframe.

Just to point out that what I meant to say earlier that it was the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) and not TPS (doh!) that I changed and cured my problem - thought I'd put this straight before anyone picks me up on it *redface*

Hope you get your problem fixed soon.

Neil Wilson

Garfield - M100 EOW - Yellow/Green 1.4K SS