Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ECU identification

Andy N

The part number 75806 is for EU3, but EU3's also have two plugs so that's double confirmation 😬

EU3 uses wasted spark which (from a shift light perspective) can 'double' the number of sparks. But it depends on how it is wired in and to what. Most shift lights will allow a multiplier to be set which gets round this issue. Aces can pre-modify Sureshifts for EU3 if you tell them.

What are you trying to fit?

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Mav/anyone fitting shift lights - from my experience the standard loom doubles up on the Black/White tacho feed with a standard dash. One goes into the standard tacho plus a tied off one that is there for a Stack. The tied off one is pre-fitted with a male spade so easy to attach onto. It is generally tied up in a bundle behind the speedo/tacho.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Thanks for the feedback.

I have looked at the Omex system, DRE (digital race electronics), Aces (Caterham recommended system) and Shifti.

From the technical info I can get and cross ref between manufacturers I have so far the following.

Aces - not suitable for ECU3 without circuit board modification - the systems needs to see a voltage rise of at least 8V to operate - the ECU3 has a low voltage tacho feed I am told.

Omex - different versions available depending on ignition system.

DRE - provide a single unit tyoe and instructions for wasted spark ignition systems - looks good so far. Can be programmed easily - the multiplier to be reset like Charles has mentioned.

Shifi - no idea at the moment - but quite complex to program via the leds.

Gut feeling is the DRE system at the moment - all in one small enclosure including your choice of leds colours and integrated digital display. £80.00

Any other feedback??

Cheers, Andy *wink*

• Support Team

I've fitted a DRE - very straightforward and the set-up is done using 2 buttons on the top of the unit. It also has a display on the top for use during set-up and testing. There is a mode to display the RPM which is very useful when testing your install. The unit is very small and I've just got it velcroed to the scuttle. *thumbup*

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

I've got the DRE unit and am very pleased with it - tiny in comparison to the ACES and OMEX systems and totally reliable so far.

There was a bulk buy last year... May be time for someone to organise another?

These were my fitting notes that I posted at the time:

Very easy to do (EU3 1.8):

- FIA Switch off

- Remove steering wheel and tacho (unplug multiplug)

- Locate Green (ignition switched power) wire in multiplug (there was quite a bit of spare wire coiled into the wiring harness)

- Cut green, and re crimp with the red shiftlight wire

- Locate WB wire (white with black tracer) in multiplug (pin 7). Again, there was extra cable tied back into the harness.

- Cut WB wire, and re-crimp with the green shiftlight wire - this is the tacho input

- Crimp on a spade connector to blue shiftlight wire (ground).

- Loosen nut in wiper mechanism directly above tacho hole in the dash and re-tighten with spade terminal in place

- Replace Tacho and steering wheel

- FIA switch on

At the moment, I've just Blu-Taked it onto the scuttle, so need to mount it properly and tidy up the wiring.

Set the shiftlight to 4CY (even thought EU3 is wasted spark, the tacho signal is 'correct' IYSWIM)

Guy

-----See some pictures of the build here. 13000 miles completed!

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 27 Mar 2008 08:57:29