Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pagid RS15/RS14

Shad

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I've found the balance better than with the standard pads. At higher speed the fronts will lock first, at slower speeds the rears seem to lock first. With the standard pads I could never lock the fronts... the rears would always lock so I'd have to get off the pedal slightly.

I'll see how I get on with the setup at Silverstone on Monday *smile*

Seems RS15 greys on the front and RS4-2 on the rears might be the solution, because if RS14s lock up the rears that is not good. Anyone tried this combination ?

'Cos youth a mask but it don't last, live it long and live it fast

Most people that run competition brake pads run with a brake limiting valve in the rear circuit. This allows the rear braking effort to be adjusted to give the required front rear balance to suit all conditions.

In my own experience running with uprated brakes all round it is not possible to work the front brakes enough on the road to keep aggressive linings such as the RS15 working within its operating temperature and as a result the pads glaze up. I would not fit anything above RS14 to my car in future.

Shad sorry to say that if your RS15 `s feel like standard road pads when cold then they are not bedded in correctly or are already glazed. The RS15 is a very high coefficient of friction pad .54 when cold rising to .62 when hot @600C no standard road pad delivers this type of performance and as such they should bite like nothing you have ever experienced when cold then the friction level increases as they get hot unlike a road pad which may fade when hot. Chalk and cheese. *smile*

Fair point Rob. I don't brake very hard when they're cold because I know they won't be up to temp, so it might not be a very fair comparison?

Either way I'm happy with the pads so far, they have solved my problems. I might look into bias adjustment in the future *smile*

One thing that's not helping me at the moment is a lot of pad knock-back from a knackered front wheel bearing, so my pedal is still longer and not as consistent as I'd like, so the confidence isn't quite there yet...

Mark-spotted! I tried the cheese fronts at the beginning of last season but switched to dairy milk midway. Needless to say I couldnt tell the difference and have decided to stick with my existing set up of porridge fronts and jellied eels rears! Im at Croft on Sunday and might do Brands on April 16th, otherwise not till the testing on Friday before race weekend.

And to think I might get some useful contributions here! *biggrin*

'Cos youth a mask but it don't last, live it long and live it fast

I'd like to do Croft before the test day, especially as we only get about two and a half minutes track time on the Friday but it's just too far for me. I'm down for Brands on the 18th April and Cadwell on the 4th. I'm hoping to do Silverstone on Sunday too but the forecast looks ****e!

Good luck with the preparations, see you soon.

• Support Team

I've got RS15s fitted to the front (AP big brakes) and I am about to fit the RS14s I've had in the garage for over a year to the rear (using standard Caterham rears at the moment). I am a bit concerned that this will end up overbraking the rear (no brake limiting valve fitted).

Rob Walker - is there anyway to "de-glaze" the front pads as I am sure they are not giving the optimum performance at the moment. I bought the pads for sprinting and track day performance but I think that as I also do a lot of road miles that these are not really suitable for me. Any thoughts?

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Shaun

I have RS15's on the front, RS14's on the back with standard rear calipers and a standard master cylinder and the balance works for me *thumbup*. It might be worth dropping Pagid an email to see what they recommend on how to deglaze their pads info@bremsentechnik.de. Mine are OK as I do not use them round paddock at Curborough *wink* *tongue*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Shaun

Will see you at the sprint day but I sold my rs14 rears as the balance did not work on my car. If you have seen any of the 2006 sprint dvd my car goes all over the place under braking. I change back to the standard rear pads and had no hairy braking events in 2007.

David

• Support Team

Mark and David - thanks. Looks like people have had different experiences but I'll chat with you both at Race Retro and the Curborough sprint intro day.

I'll email Pagid and see what they say.

Shaun,

You remove the pads , make note of each pads location for refitting and rub them on some 60 grade sand paper that is on a flat surface. You are trying to remove about 0.5mm of the friction material. Then you must clean any of the abrasive grit out of the face of the pad with an airline or carbon tet brake cleaner and a soft cloth. re-fit the pads and you have to then go through the pad break in proceedure once again basically 80 mph down to 50 mph braking as hard as possible about 5 times. At the end of that exercise the brakes should almost pull you eyes out of their sockets under braking . Best done before a track day or event or they will just glaze up again pottering around on our crowded roads.

Rob

• Support Team

Thanks Rob - I'll give it a go.

When I orginally fitted them I found a deserted road on the trading estate for the bedding in! It's not easy to find a suitable empty road around Slough.