Owner Technical Update #3 - Ford Sigma powered models

Caterham Aftersales

OWNER TECHNICAL UPDATE NOTICE

Update number 003

Date of release 20/02/08

Applicable to all Sigma powered models

Build period – up to January 2008

FUEL GAUGE INACCURACY

Caterham Cars are aware that the early Sigma engine variants suffer from an inaccuracy in fuel reading, the symptom being a gauge reading of a ¼ of capacity when the tank is in fact nearing empty.

The cause has been identified as a fault in the original supply of rev counters (through which instrument readings pass, due to the nature of the latest Ford electronic system), therefore these early production units will need to be replaced. Cars affected are all pre Jan 08 Sigma variants.

This relatively easy update which only requires replacement of the rev counter unit can be either carried out by the vehicle owner or at the Caterham Factory. Caterham Midlands will also be available to carry out this free of charge update.

Please contact Michelle Stevens on 01322 625 800 to check if your cars is affected, quoting the last 5 digits of the chassis number. A replacement unit on an exchange basis can then be supplied.

These updates are available free of charge to all genuine Sigma vehicles fitted with original equipment.

James Gibson

Service Manager

Caterham Cars Ltd

I rang Michelle regarding a replacement tacho & she said to ring back when I receive letter from caterham. All owners with affected cars will receive a letter in due course but they are sending them out a few at a time as they have approx 120 owners to notify & i suppose don't want to be bombarded with phone calls!

My letter arrived yesterday.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi, I have built a Sigma Roadsport SV this year and carried out update 003 (replace rev counter) on 3 March 2008. When initially filling the fuel tank on start up, I managed to get 37 litres in before overflow, when refuelling now with the tank between 1/4 and empty it takes around 21 litres, so the gauge is still far from acurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say ... mine is fine. Reads full when full, and empty when empty with a linear scale in between, although I've found out the hard way that 'R' means 'Run Out' and not 'Reserve' as I had assumed 😳

It was originally off when built but has been fine since fixed by Caterham Midlands at PBC. I'd be happy to take some multimeter readings for reference if that would help?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pleased I'm not the only one. Being new to 7 ownership (Aug this year) I thought my brand new, factory built, Sigma Roadsport had an unbelievably small tank capacity. On R I can fit around 22L and haven't been brave enough to run it lower. A pain to keep stopping. Now I have more confidence.

Tony

Proud new 7 owner since Aug 2008