Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2004 R400 rear brake pads

rossybee

Apologies up front for numpty post, but looking for some info... *rolleyes*

The SuperSnot would nicely benefit from some new rear pads (job for this Saturday) - just looking for standard fitment (ie nothing uprated, as I'm only doing the rears...)

Car is completely standard K series R400 wrt braking system, which means the 4 pot fronts & standard rears, yeah?

Myles' ever-informative site quotes The Lucas part number is: GDB472 "Ford Scorpio 91 on" which I guess I could easily get from my local motor factors (any decent make would do like Quinton & Hazell etc) so cost shouldn't be daft (iro £20). I was going to take this part no as gospel & go get a set but was informed that rears can vary, depending on what's fitted up front (makes sense tbh, brake balance etc *rolleyes*)

CC have this page which may well be the identical part, but I don't want to risk not having them delivered for the weekend *rolleyes*

So - what I'm looking for is some swithed-on BCer to tell me what is the correct pads to go for (preferrably with part no *wink*) so I can mosey on down to the factors & buy with confidence (the fitting is getting done at a Spanners & Sponges Session about 90 miles north of me 😳)

Any positive info to remove any uncertainties much appreciated folks *wavey* *thumbup* *smokin*

Sssssscottish

SssssuperSssssnot!

Scotland - North Of The Smoke

• Area Representative

Ross,

There's a clue in the Caterham wording

Rear pads to be fitted when running 4 pot uprated front brakes only!
With the being significant.

The pads for use with the big front brakes (which are identified by blue paint on the backs) are more abrasive than the "Standard" pads. These are fitted to improve the front to rear balance.

If you fit "standard" pads in the rear, they won't work as well as the fronts, so the fronts will lock up way before the rears (but the rear pads should last longer!)

Conversly, cars with standard front brakes and standard rears are normaly over braked at the rear, and lock the rears first (making the car very willing to swap ends under heavy braking!!! - not nice!)

I'm sorry that does not answer your question, but gives a little insight to rear pad choices.

R400 from a brief squint is boggo sierra as you only have 1 caliper where as the up rated back brakes normally have two calipers on for stopping brakes and one for the rotational brake (handbrake)

And your best bet is to talk to performance braking and get them delivered to someone up north 01600 713117 they should have at least my address on file (18 ritchie place small place near aberdeen)

Failing that i have a set of mind boggling expensive pagids in the shed but you being in carpet spec not old ratty no carpet spec you don't have a brake bias valve so god knows what that would do to your braking balance not to mention your bank balance but they are damn good

might also consider some new discs as they are cheap as chips and i have the kit to change them triumph herald i think but not 100% certain

Also while we have the car in bits when was the brake fluid last changed?

Worst comes to the worst we can pop into halfrauds and get some nasty pads which will get you home.

Also while we have the car in bits

Not quite in bits please Paul! 😳 (I'll have to make toilet breaks swift...)

The fluid was changed 2 services ago at Dreadnought, bear in mind mine being heaterless & carpetless carpet spec has the luxury of full Caterham SH (should that be a *smokin* or a *redface* 🤔) *tongue*

I reckon I'll go for the part # listed on Myles' webpage - not wishing to go to mega expenditure... *rolleyes*

Sssssscottish

SssssuperSssssnot!

Scotland - North Of The Smoke

Edited by - rossybee on 21 Feb 2008 09:48:57

Drifting O/T...

Failing that i have a set of mind boggling expensive pagids in the shed but you being in carpet spec not old ratty no carpet spec you don't have a brake bias valve so god knows what that would do to your braking balance not to mention your bank balance but they are damn good

I have identical brakes to Ross - Cat-badged 4-pot front, Sierra rear... and John Freeth (Performance Braking) sold me RS-15 fronts and RS-14 rears a few years back (£££s *eek*). The brake balance is spot on. He knows his pads *wink*

Anyway, as Paul says, Performance Braking will have the definitive answer for you *thumbup*

(Mainly *tongue*) Scottish Motorsport/Trackday Pics Here.

I reckon I'll go for the part # listed on Myles' webpage - not wishing to go to mega expenditure...

Phone John Freeth - 5 mins to get clarification. Myles mileage may vary in any case... he *may* have different (2-pot) front callipers? ...which will govern the rear pads' compound choice (as Richard Price says).

(Mainly *tongue*) Scottish Motorsport/Trackday Pics Here.

Edited by - jason liddell on 21 Feb 2008 11:35:55