Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Optimate III lights

phillinda

Mine often goes from fully charged back down to de-sulphate/ charge again. This might be due to temperature changes, although I noticed yesterday that wiggling the contacts switched it from de-sulphate (red) to charge (amber).

- so I'd guess that there's a degree of corrosion in the connector lead contacts that's created a resistance, and that causes the Optimate to misread the battery's state of charge.

There is a degree of use-it-or-lose it effect with lead/ acid, but these batteries are generally designed to be kept at or close to full charge permanently, with only the occasional dip just after starting. You shouldn't need to do a discharge/ full charge.

Be aware that most cars (racers especially) have the battery sited in a less-than ideal position, downwind of the zorst primaries - it's well worth checking electrolyte levels since they can take excess heat and vent.

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

Silly question - but have you checked the liquid levels in each cell of the battery

Yes, all cells fully topped up

How long is "permanently"?

Been about 4 weeks now. Put it on charge because the immobiliser light had stopped flashing. Forgot to put it on charge at the end of October when it was SORNed so maybe 2 months of standing have done some permanent damage?

Phil

1997 Brooklands Green 1.8 Supersport

Have you got a voltmeter to put across the battery terminals with the Optimate disconnected to see what voltage it is standing at. That will give you a clue as to its health.

Then check same point when Optimate connected.

If you don't have such a gadget, do the headlights work ?

Have you tried starting the car ?

7 related photos