Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Aeroscreens

Andrew Hooper

There is usually a cover panel on the inside stopping you from seeing the nuts on the end of the bolts. If that makes sense?

Some cars have this riveted in so the rivets will have to be drilled out to remove. They can then be repaced with screws if you want to keep the panels.

My car (1990) doesnt have them at all so its v easy for me

mark

• Support Team

If you can't see them then you must have the knee trim panels fitted. These will need to be removed to get at the windscreen nuts. Probably have to drill rivets but if you are lucky they are screwed on with self tappers. Once you have got in there, best thing is to order these (they are handed so order a left and a right one). You can then put your trim panels back and never need to get behind them again.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Many thanks - CC have fitted the panel with screws, so we are on a roll. I will also probably fit the panel with the captive nuts, making it easier for next time - also adding weight (What would Colin Chapman have said?)

Are there wing mirrors which fit the holes for the full screen - I seem to have seen them in pics?

Andrew 1800 classic (It grew up)

• Area Representative

Andrew,

If you are fitting the Brooklands aeroscreens with the Caterham scuttle band, the band fixes in to the same 4 holes as the main windscreen. If you are fitting just the aeroscreens with the 4 fitting posts, these can be drilled direct to the car's scuttle, in which case have a look for some of the Swiss cars which have mirrors that are fitted to a tripod style base and will bolt to the windscreen holes.

Drop me an email if you want some pics of a brooklands band fitting and possibly some of the tripod mirrors too if I dig around...

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

Brooklands screens are usually attached to a stanchion which is a direct replacement for the windscreen stanchion/brackets. You bolt the screens to the stanchion, and the stanchion to the scuttle using the existing holes. The trick is to use countersunk bolts under the stanchion for the screens, so swapping over is easy.

I think some people have mounted the screens onto the scuttle directly (Tony C).

CC don't supply any mirrors with the Brooklands kit - just stanchion and screens.

Most people use SPA Design mirrors IIRC, or nice shiny retro looking ones.

See here: clicky

AB

Make sure you use the convex glass for all three Spa mirrors - with the flat ones you can't see a thing out tha back. You may find (as I did) that the central post that is standard is too short and places it directly in your line of sight. Spa did me a 4" longer post for about £10, which solves that. My mirrors and screens are all attached directly to the aluminium band, so the whole lot attaches to the normal windscreen bolts as a single unit. Personally, I would not refit the knee panels. The faster Caterhams don't have them in the first place, and I can't see what function they serve other than getting in the way.