Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting fuel pressure gauge/sender - how?

CharlesElliott

I recently bought a Spa oil pressure sender, and it seemed to make sense to make use of the 'dual gauge' option and have a fuel pressure gauge too. 😬

Now I'm thinking about fitting it. The car is a standard K-series with the plastic fuel rail - it's a race car and whilst we are allowed to fit additional instruments, I cannot just ditch the standard high pressure hose that takes the fuel from the chassis outlet pipe to the fuel rail.

My first thought was to buy a T-piece with a tapping for the sender. Think Auto do one of these (M14 x 1.5 Male to Female) but it doesn't seal on the flared pipe *redface*. Has anyone found a suitable T-piece, or how else have people fitted fuel pressure gauges when they have the plastic fuel rail?

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

You could change the pipe that runs from the pump to the filter and incorporate a take of from there. *thumbup*

No scrap that idea as it would only give you pump pressure before the pressure regulator. *thumbdown* ☹️

Edited by - Peter T on 24 Jan 2008 17:31:50

The only regulator (I think!) is at the output end of the fuel rail, so (roughly) anwhere on the line between filter and rail should be OK.

Having looked into it a bit more, something like this seems the normal way of doing it. However, this would really mean cutting the chassis to fuel rail pipe, which I'd rather not do.

Thanks Peter.

At the chassis end, it is M14 x 1.5mm male, over a flared copper pipe. The high pressure hose is obviously M14 x 1.5mm at the chassis end and a custom fitting at the fuel rail end. It can be unscrewed (from the rail) but I think it's a Rover only fitting.

Apparently it's a Saginaw type fitting (see here) and scroll down a bit, hence why there are slightly special sealing requirements and why the T piece I got from Think doesn't work....

Charles

---

I had the same problem after buying an ex race R400 engine with a stack fuel pressure sender badly fitted, I eventually made an inline adaptor to go into the connection between the metal fuel line and the rubber pipe to the fuel rail. I considered making an adaptor to go between the rubber pipe and the fuel rail but the stack sender is a heavy lump and I did not want it mounted on the end of a plastic rail and subject to engine vibration.

When I got the engine, someone had drilled and tapped the back of the fitting on the end of the rubber pipe that mates with the rail and fitted the sender, on inspection I found that the sender only needed 3/4 of a turn before it fell out leaving a hole pointing at the driver side bulkhead, highly dangerous.

When I get somewhere to host pics of adaptor I will.

Thanks strij and Alex. If I'm going to do it, putting an inline adaptor into the chassis to rail hose seems the best option - shame there isn't a T piece that will fit onto the M14 as it comes off the chassis (at least not one that will seal with the type of fitting).

Alex - would be a good option but I have to keep the standard FPR.

Charles

---

Fair comment, but the hassle it seems to be causing (can see the hassle it could save though) plus added weight for a race car seem to outweigh (excuse the punn) the effort.

Have struggled to find a similar problem before (turned out to be lamda) so can see advantage.

It has little value (unless the pump is failing). But it's there to be measured 😬

To be slightly serious, it could also show a fuel starvation, particularly round left handers towards the end of a race. Weight isn't an issue, I have to use lead to bring the car up to the minimum weight anway.

Charles

---

Is the sender safe to use with fuel? Might be worth checking with Spa as i might have seals in it that won't like the petrol.

Just a thought....

Good idea though as I had an adjustable regulator that was loosing pressure when it got hot. I couldn't work out why my car was rich to start when starting off and then gradually getting lean by the end of a 1/2 hr blat.... certainly would have helped.

Phil Waters

Charles am I being too simple? Can't you just cut the rubber fuel hose that goes to the fuel rail and put a T piece in the line? Your rubber hose is probably long over due for replacement anyway so may as well replace it (just cut the crimps off the ends and attach the end fittings to new hose with jubilee clips (a fiver from halfords).

It's only taken four and a half years - I have started my website at last! Early days yet . . .

Steve - the hose has already been replaced 😬. Unfortunately I couldn't really just replace the hose and jubilee clip it because that would have been an unauthorised modification *confused*. I can T piece it but that still feels a bit on the unauthorised side....

Charles

---