Owner Technical Update #2 - CSR200 & CSR260

Caterham Aftersales

OWNER TECHNICAL UPDATE NOTICE

Update number 002

Date of release 07/01/08

Applicable to CSR200 and CSR260

Build period – all

CSR ENGINE MAINTENANCE

With the new year here, it won’t be long before the days get longer and the weather warmer, meaning that the trackday season will soon be in full swing. With this in mind, we would like to remind owners of the additional maintenance requirements of the high-performance Cosworth engines in the CSR200 and CSR260.

The Cosworth engines are hand-built race-tuned units and as such require a little more attention than a mass produced engine. However, with this attention, the engine will continue to be a strong and reliable power plant, as proven in the CSR Masters race series, where the near-identical specification regularly runs at race speeds in extreme heat, on slick tyres and for extended periods with only routine checks and top-ups – clocking up thousands of circuit miles.

The key criteria for the Cosworth engine is the oil level. A special revised dipstick was introduced in 2006 and issued to all original owners, along with detailed instructions for checking the oil. As CSRs may now be with second owners, below is a summary of the procedure. The dipstick is identified by its single-piece metal design, looped end and machined flat section. If you do not have this item, please contact Caterham Parts.

The oil level should be at the top of the flat section. However, on the CSR260 engine which uses a race piston, and in common with other hand-built engines, each engine will vary slightly and if the engine is not breathing some oil into the catch tank (which it should), we would recommend finding your own level above this. After a track session, you should expect just a small amount in the bottom of the tank. If you’re not getting this, overfill the engine at approximately 250ml a time, until you get this.

Oil levels should be checked after every track session (assuming 20 minutes of track time), which is good practice for all cars! We would also recommend checking the oil level every 500 road miles.

Thankfully, owner vigilance means that engine failures are a rare occurrence. However, vigilance under the bonnet needs to matched behind the wheel, as the driver can dramatically reduce engine longevity or cause an immediate failure, through the process of a mechanical over-rev. As all Caterhams are fitted with a rev limiter, this condition only occurs through downshifting caused by pilot-error; usually by getting the wrong gear on the downshift (getting 3rd instead of 5th) or doing the same when going up the ‘box. CSRs, which have significantly more traction through tyres size and suspension design will be less forgiving of this than lower powered Caterhams. All current UK Caterhams have a datalogging facility within the ECU which enables us to establish the degree and duration of over-rev(s) – this information is available on request during servicing. In summary, please take care when changing gear!

Whilst these notes may read a little negatively, the positive purpose of this information is that taking care with the gearbox and conducting proper maintenance will ensure that your CSR provides you with trouble free trackdays throughout the year. Enjoy!

James Gibson

Service Manager

Caterham Cars Ltd

Edited by - Caterham Aftersales on 7 Jan 2008 10:33:52

Edited by - Caterham Aftersales on 7 Jan 2008 10:34:55

Edited by - Caterham Aftersales on 7 Jan 2008 16:16:01

• 4 weeks later...

What I found odd was:

1) Oil level is important , we know that

2) We can't tell you what oil level should be in the 260 so overfill it *confused*

3) If you over rev your car we'll know trying to frighten us?

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Edited by - ric on 10 Feb 2008 12:18:07

A little bird tells me that there's been a few problems with oil level/pressure in these motors. There's another thread elsewhere with an owner mentioning low oil pressure when cruising etc..

I know of a couple which have gone bang with oil starvation being quoted as the problem issue.

Anyway, whenever a note like this goes out, it is only a reaction to cover itself from more claims.

Personaly, I don't see anything odd. Just a poke in the ribs to say Hey! It's not an everyday tin top, it's basicaly a race engine. Check your oil.

I would also say that checking your oil after a track session is prudent.

I think CC posting on BC is a positive thing. *thumbup* And shouldn't be considered negative. *nono*

If all around you say it can't be done, all the more reason to do it!

Hi Mickrick,

I would agree, however, just from my experience, when a manufacturer has to put this type of message on a board it seems that the communication has not succeeded that well elsewhere. It's not a criticism of CC, just a view/repsonse to the action. At no stage, after re-reading my postings do I say that it's negative for them to post here.

Most BC contributors appreciate these cars need extra TLC.

However, I've met some owners who would struggle to get the bonnet off! But they still bought a seven because of the fantastic reviews the cars get in general from the motoring press. The problem is, I bet not many of them are members here anyway! *thumbup*

Captain Chaos, yes I agree about some people not having much idea, when it comes to being mechanicaly minded! Although as we know, there's nothing very complicated about a Seven. But the CSR's engine needs a bit more care, being basicaly a mini GT car.

No your posts weren't negative. (Although maybe a hint of suspicion *tongue*) What I meant was that CC's post shouldn't be taken as negative.

I think we have to accept the fact, that although a Seven can be a very expensive toy, in some cases, we have to be prepared to do a bit of tinkering.

It's not the type of car to own if your not prepared to do this. We also have to accept that CC are a low volume manufacturer, and don't have the R&D resorces of the larger car manufacturers. Therefore, as enthusiasts, ultimately we end up doing a bit of R&D for CC!

If all around you say it can't be done, all the more reason to do it!

• 1 month later...

Im one of those who`s engine has gone bang and the post comes far to late even if it would have made any good......

Caterham After sales has been really bad and Mark Edwards and Ansar Ali have done not a thing to help me so be seeing you in court.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am a bit late contributing to this thread but I only joined recently. I bought a new CSR260 in May and did have a few teething problems, the worst of which was an engine oil leak from the bell housing assembly. It was a bit annoying considering it is a new car but James Gibson and his team have been first class as far as co-operation and after sales care is concerned and I can only commend them for their help and attention. Caterham collected my car from Aberdeenshire and took it back to Kent for investigation and repair which turned out to be a faulty "O" ring seal. It is being returned to me next week.

The golden rule is to keep an eye on oil pressure and engine temperature gauges ... and also the speedo' ... if the boys in blue are behind *wink*

Blue7

Good to hear of good service. But surely the golden rule is to expect a new car to er work. Not that you need to keep your eye on all the gauges all the time?

Graham

Hi Graham

The car does work, the only problem was the oil leak, which was caused by a faulty seal. My understanding is that the engine is fully tested by Cosworth, then installed in the car and track tested by Caterham and obviously there were no initial problems evident.

Having maintained and modified many cars over the years I know only too well that you can sometimes buy a brand new part that turns out to be faulty and fails after a short mileage, replacement brake master cylinder seals and brake shoe piston seals used to be notorious for it and in the case of the latter it meant the shoe linings were ruined in the process. You are always at the mercy of the supplier and I think in the case of Cosworth they will probably be bending their supplier's ear about this small problem that has caused such a lot of work. To be fair, Caterham did after all just fit a Cosworth engine into the car and they didn't build the engine or fit the seal and Cosworth do have a relatively good reputation when it comes to performance and reliability.

The gauges are not fitted for cosmetic purposes and you do need to keep a wary eye on them, obviously not all the time but certainly at initial start up. There are no oil pressure warning lights or fancy computer displays to tell you of low pressures or high temperatures so the gauges are all you have. In the old days the only warning you got was steam coming from the radiator *biggrin*

Blue7

• 3 weeks later...

>>So, if I have the dip stick with the green plastic end on it, is it the wrong one?

Yes, if you have a CRS and you are using the standard dipstick which is attached to the underside of the screw-cap. You need to get the replacement dipstick which is a metal rod with a flat section part way along the dipstick, which indicates the correct level.

If you wish, I could email you the CSR owner notes which show a picture of the new dipstick and what the correct level should be?

Blue7

>>This is the one I have - here

That is the redundant one

>>Which one of these two should I have - here

Yes, that is the one Caterham supplied me with

>>or here.

I have not seen this one before but it looks to me as if it is the new dipstick with a screw cap attached so that it can replace the original redundant dipstick in the swirl tower. If it is available I can't understand why Caterham didn't fit this one to my car instead of the redundant one?

>>The second one looks like it has no threaded part at the top, is that correct?

Correct

>>If you can email me the info please email

Will do

>>Was the replacement FOC?

Mine certainly was but I would have kicked up a fuss if it hadn't been because I only bought it in May this year *eek*

In Caterham owner notes they say:

"A special revised dipstick was introduced in 2006 and issued to all original owners, along with detailed instructions for checking the oil."

"If you do not have this item, please contact Caterham Parts"

I assume it must have been FOC so if you bought your car new you should have been given one or sent one and if you bought second hand the original owner should have been given one and should have handed it to you with the car.

I have thought about putting the old and new dipsticks side by side on the bench and filing a couple of grooves on the old dipstick in line with the flat section on the new dipstick so I can just use the old dipstick but use the grooves as the new level indicator *biggrin*

Blue7

Whats interesting, having now read some info I got with the car (Never looked properly *redface*) is they say the level of oil from the botttom of the tank should be about 245mm. I already had an old wire coathanger that I used for the R500 and the mark is in the same point, ie 245 from the bottom of the coat hanger. So I can use this but I also checked it against the dipstick I currently have and the level should be at bobble at the top of the green part of the dipstick

R5 no more ☹️ Welcome CSR *smile*

My site