Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1800K, a few questions

Brucey

I picked up my R300 1800K EU2 engine last weekend *smokin*and have a few questions......

The engine has the following markings:

Head: LDF106290

Engine No: AAAAB 248 174

Block Casting: LCF 103830

Sump Casting: LSB 101850 TCP11

1. The sump is totaly different from my existing 1400K wet sump. I'm assuming this is a dry sump unit and I'll have to fit a wet sump and Apollo until I can afford the other dry sump bits, or can I just fit the dipstick, pickup, baffle etc and run it as a wet sump?

2. I want to check the cam timing before fitting the verniers from my 1400K engine just in case the timing is o.k. what should the timing be and what tolerance is acceptable?

3. Assuming it has solid followers, what valve clearances and tolerances should it be? Is it o.k. to check clearances 'dry' and 'cold'?

4. There is only about 3mm 'land' around the inlet manifold intake holes(ex throttle bodies?). I know I'll have to modify my 1400ss Plenum to match. Is a gaskit or are 'O' rings used to seal the plenum to the inlet manifold? My fear a gaskit will be getting rather thin!

5. It looks like I'll have to remove some of the engine number when I cut a bit off the front of the block to clear the Apollo pipes (near the alternator), do I stamp it back on somewhere else?

6. Should I squirt something down the bores before turning it over by hand? What about the mains?

7. Should I be looking at or doing anything else whilst it's sittting on my workbench in my nice warm shed?

That will do for now *eek*

As usual, any help/advice would be appreciated *wavey*

Bruce.

1) Dunno, not seen the sump, but you should be able to swap all the 1400 bits although you may need to drill the sump bolt holes, some early engines had m6 bolts

2) If you are running on TBs, the 80/60, if you are running on SS ECU 60/50

3) inlet .008", exhaust .010", cold

4) you will need a VVC inlet manifold gasket, it is a paper one.

5) it is normally stamped on the flange of the bearing ladder, the part that faces upwards, just below cylinders 2 & 3

6) A tiny bit of WD40, not much else you can do

7) check cambelt tension, check all visible bolts holding on water pump/oil pump, check cam seals and rear oil seal for signs of leakage

oily

• Leadership Team

1. If it is a dry sump pan, you'll need to fit your wet sump version from your 1400 - not possible to run wet sump using a d/s pan. D/S pan is completely different - it will slope down from the front and will have an outlet towards the rear RH side. On the inside there is a baffle plate screwed into the bottom. If it is d/s and you don't want the sump pan, Englishmaninwales is selling a belltank in the "For Sale" section - maybe you could do a deal with a potential purchaser (or even buy the tank yourself!).

4. Plenum to manifold is O-rings. As Oily says, manifold to head needs a VVC gasket. Are you trying to use the full 1400 plenum/manifold assembly or mixing it with something else *confused*

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

If the engine has been protected by a dry sump, isn't it a bit of backward step to then put a wet sump back on.

If your only using it on the road I suppose it would be ok, but if your tracking it, even with an Apollo, wear can occur on the bearings.

That's my understanding anyway, perhaps Oily could comment *cool*

Thanks for the info Chaps *thumbup*

With Dave's guidence, I've now found the correct engine number *redface* It starts with 18K and ends with R300, that will do me *smokin*

Second mistake is that I assumed It had a dry sump as it was fitted with a dry sump pulley (oh well, it's a start *rolleyes*). In my defence, I've never seen a dry sump and was intending to fit my 1400K sump anyway. Infact it has been fitted with a non Caterham sump just to protect the bottom end during storage. So you can stop bickering now *nono*

Elie Boone, YHM *wavey*

If the valve timing changes between Throttle Bodies and Plenum, I'll fit my Verniers as a matter of course.........you never know 😬

I'm assuming the valve timing is: 60 thou Inlet, 50 thou Exhaust

Bruce.