Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrade car or upgrade engine

Tim V-W

Having had my 1400ss for a year and fought the desire to add all sorts of bits I now find that with winter approaching thoughts turn to projects and prep for next year.

I reckon there are three options:

1. PX my car against a new CC kit and have the pleasure of the build plus an upgrade into the bargain. (probably want a s/l so figure £15k to change)

2. Look at a s/h higher spec car (say £10k to change)

3. Build a replacement engine (1800k base) as a winter project and upgrade other parts at the same time. (no idea of cost and looking for your suggestions)

The basis for the upgrade is my current 1400ss 5 speed. It is 1996 (Hb under dash) with cloth pre S seats so these need changing, but does have 4/1 collector, adjustable platforms and 13 inch 8 spoke wheels with cr500's.

Any advice / thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Tim

N432FLR with new wheels :) here

Well -

I was thinking that the cost of the other necessary upgrades may limit ambition in terms of engine power i.e. spending money on a 6 speed g/b (or altering the 5 speed ratios), and lsd, plus tillets.

I am looking for reliability and tractability as well as power, so was thinking to aim for around 180bhp with good torque throughout the range.

I guess you should think about how much you are interested in residual values - a standard car is likely to be more saleable in the future if you did the new kit rather than upgrading what you've got?

They tried to make me go to Gatwick, I said Just another month, mind

Hi Tim,

I've also got a 1400SS and am considering a serious bout of upgraditis.

I've already added an LSD, tillets and 13" wheels (it came with 16" HPC wheels) and it came with a 6 speed box

I'm now thinking of going up to an 1800SS to give me more power and torque. I'm hoping I can do it for a max of £2k including fitting some vernier pulleys.

I too have toyed with the idea of chopping mine in for a newer one but £2k is easier to justify than £10k plus for a Superlight etc in my eyes.

All depends on what you're after I suppose. *thumbup*

Adam

1400ss 6sp LSD

Hi Adam

I notice you are in Coventry, I'm in Rugby. Perhaps we should plan and execute the upgrade together.

I was out with the car this evening and It is in such good condition with only 7k miles that I almost decided that it is a shame to trade it in and I definitely ought to upgrade the engine myself - almost!!

Besides, I am after a pair of tillets on the for sale section to get me started.

Blatmail me if you fancy a chat.

Cheers

Tim

If you have a rust free chassis and your car is pre-August '98, don't sell it... but put in a larger engine and add goodies.

Has to be the most cost effective way to go! If you are anywhere near the farm, you can always bring it over here and I'll give you a hand.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Tim/ Adam...

It should be well under 2k to do the swap! I bought a bottom end from DVA for around £450 and used the 1400 s/s head, cams, plenum etc. All you need to replace in reality if the fuel rail with the larger injectors and fuel pressure regulator. An advantage of the 1400 S/S plenum and TB is that it's actually 56mm!!

It's fairly easy to do to be honest, and is a fantastic upgrade! DVA fitted verniers to my engine earlier this year and that's improved it even further!!

And.....I know my sister has an 1800 MGF engine non VVC sitting in her garage if you're interested 😬 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*