Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Timing Belt + Oil Change

Richard Ryland

I bought an ex race car which has the three seals on it. One is on the timing belt cover; this one is blatantly different / newer than the others. Is there any way of finding out if the belts have been changed or just inspected? Who is able to do these seals? (Only Caterham?). It was an ex academy car (1.6 K series) if this helps? Its now done 7K miles so is it worth just cutting the seal and doing it myself?

Also about to do an oil change, is there anything that has to be done differently as it has an apollo tank fitted?

Any answers greatfully recieved.

Hi Richard - I'm not sure if the engine needs to be resealed if you're not actively racing. The purpose of the seals is to prove that you haven't fettled the engine to give yourself an unfair advantage when everyone is running a standard one!

When I did my oil change I followed Myles' instructions here. When I asked about emptying the Apollo tank many people said that it was essential to remove the drain plug to fully drain it and check it for metal bits. I did this, but initially had the Apollo tank turned so that the lower hose pointed downwards to enable it to drain. When I did remove the drain plug there was very little extra oil that came out.

I think the age of the cambelt is more important than the mileage, tintops are generally ok for tens of thousands of miles.

cheers,

Darren.

It's McMillan - not MacMillan (got confused as I believe Andy goes by the moniker of Andy Mac...)

Anyway - from the webby:

Technical Support for the series in being provided by McMillan Motorsport

Tel: 01455 822686

Mobile: 07974 440 007

Email: andrew.mcmillan@lycos.co.uk

Minister are here

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Depends on the race series -

Caterham Roadsports; approved engine builders are Caterham Midlands and Minister Power

Caterham Graduates; approved engine builders are McMillan Motorsport

Caterham Midlands (and I assume Minister) tend to use three blue plastic MSA marked seals. McMillan Motorsport tend to use the folded metal type seal.

As is said, no need to get the engine re-sealed if you aren't racing it.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary