Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrade (or not) advice please

madmaninshed

Hi, I have a 2001 1600 K superlight. It's a great car, and goes extremely well, but I'm used to bigger engines with more torque (ideal for a lazy old fart). There's an unused 2.0 duratec engine in the garage, and I bought the car to fit it. It seems the perfect spec as it has big brakes, LSD, wide track, adjustable platforms, 6 speed etc already, and has done under 9000 miles. I've costed all the duratec bits new for about 220 bhp and can take time to find all the parts. The k series engine, exhaust and loads of parts can be sold on afterwards to keep the cost down. Am I being plain stupid changing a nice original car, and will I end up with a result that is worth less, having spent a lot on it?

Done properly it should be great....but........ 😳

Why not just have DVA do a gentle porting on your existing head and fit TBs/Emerald?

But it won't give Duratec torque will it, and that's what madmaninshed says he wants.

madmaninshed: The 1600 SL has nice bits and a light tube chassis - now give it the engine it deserves . .. . It'll make the nerds whinge as you're modifying a limited production run car, but that is even more of a reason to do it *thumbup*

I reckon you can sell this for a bit more than the K when it is finished. The cost of the conversion will be high but if you want to do it that's fine. Do it for yourself, for the period ogf time you expect to own the car, and expect to sell it for the same price as a similar K when you sell. Then decide whetehr you want to go for it. Oh, and before you start, go to a club meet and get a ride in a Duratec one so you know what you are getting in advance. *smile*

Thanks guys, your thoughts are much appreciated. I do want the extra torque and did like the 6 speed with a previous caterham with a 200 bhp+ VX engine. Hi Mike, it was me who bought your primaries. Your car is one of the finest sevens I've ever seen. I'd love a ride in it......, but then I'd have to sell the 2.0 to Tony and buy a 2.3!

I'll get to work on the engine and plan to go ahead. Thanks again. Paul.

If it's a pukka SL and you're worried about resale value (as you appear to be) then sell the SL and buy something cheaper to drop the Duratec into.

Fair or not, homebrew cars (I have one) are never worth as much/as easy to sell on as factory spec cars. Not a problem for me as I'll never be selling my car. But if you're concerned about resale, don't butcher it.

To do the Duratec properly you also need to reskin at least one side of the car, and if it's painted you'll need to add both these things to the cost to change. Things rarely end up as cheap as you think they should when you're adding up the engine bits ;)